[Archers] Nature of peerage ... was: Re: Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 25

Fen & Michelle mobishob at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 08:55:06 PST 2012

His Excellency Siegfried has me thinking about... zebras.  Yes, zebras - both horse and donkey, but also neither.  I'll try to explain what I mean:

An archer will make his own "period bow & arrows" and then use them in competition (skill at martial art). But do the heavies make "period" armor to use in Crown Tourney?  Correct my ignorance if I'm wrong, but I believe they would still use foam inserts as padding or stainless steel, modern techniques to form metal, etc.  Same for personal combat techniques - aren't most trained in how to use a rattan "club" instead of a sword? Again, same for melee tactics on the field. Do we really use "period" tactics at Pennsic if they are not effective?

Maybe someone more knowledgable can flesh these thought out. It just seems to me that archery is like a zebra - portions of it fit into martial and the laurel, but not enough to actually belong to either group.

Cheers
Fen

Atlantian Archery. Nothing exists within 100 yards without our permission.