[Archers] fourth peerage.

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 15 13:21:11 PST 2012

As usual, Very well said Colum.

cog

From: archers-bounces at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org [mailto:archers-bounces at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org] On Behalf Of pjdarby at verizon.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:31 PM
To: archers at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Subject: [Archers] fourth peerage.

 I sent in my email.  It is rather lengthy and I tried to stick with facts.  If anyone is interested I could post it here.  But one ot the reasons I put forth is that in any group recognition is an important part of the group.  In the SCA we have three peerages and most things people can do will fit into one of them quite neatly.  And judging by the number of combat archers who have become knights (0) fletchers and bowyers who have become Laurels (0) and archery shoot organizers, target builders etc. who have become Pelicans (0) we don't fit into any of those categories.   So where do we fit.  A top of the line archer in Atlantia knows its history, knows how to shoot, build arrows, strings and at least the attributes of a good quiver, bow and how to run an event.  They have an interest in teaching those skills and often give up shooting to do so.   Yet there is no place in the peerage for archers.  You would be hard pressed to find a top archer in Atlantia that hasn't done what most of the "peers" have done to earn their peerage.  You want to talk prowess on the battlefield.  Compare the number of kills between any Duke and Shamus or Godai and Jaynen, yet their knighthoods are curiously absent.  I have been published in a national archery magazine, taught almost every archery skill at universities and on the field and that includes history.  I have a Silver Nautilus for archery yet strangely enough I haven't had to turn down any requests to become a Laurel this week. And if you think I have done some stuff you should read Seigrieds crossbow efforts in the artistic realm, not to mention Mors.  Let's discuss the Leader of our brotherhood of archers.  If you don't know what she has done in service to archery then you shouldn't be reading this.  Yet her name is curiously absent from the roles of the Pelican.    But even if the archers were wholeheartedly accepted into the peerage.  You still wouldn't know why they got their medallion.  If I get recognized as an archer I want it to be for the whole package, not just a piece and our own peerage would do that.  I am not so sure that is so out of line when you consider that Atlantia has no exclusive archery awards.  Now when someone says they are a yew bow you have to ask what they got it for.  I bet no knight has ever been asked that question.  It is kind of ironic when you consider we are the only martial discipline in the SCA that uses real weapons exactly like it was done over the last 30 thousand years or so.  Real knights didn't go into battle with stick instead of swords or rubber tips on their rapiers.  I have taken  small game with my field points and big game with the sharp points.

 The most important thing in the SCA is "What I do" whether that is brewing, fighting storytelling or anything else I have a passion for.  To deliberately leave those people out of the peerage is not the behavior I would expect in a peer.

Baron Colum