[Archers] archery loaner gear and equipment program - a thought

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 10:00:15 PDT 2012

Folks if you go to his site, backyardbowyer.com, and click on Other, then
select Youtube you see his videos on how he makes his bows, breakage tests,
etc.  I’ve been told by others that the poundage is a product of the piping
used.  Thinner diameter, less poundage, also schedule 40 versus schedule 80.

My first concern was the effect of sun light on PVC piping.  My first job
out of college was running the marine aquaculture lab for San Diego State
University.  I learned how to plumb PVC piping from ¼ inch to 10 inch
diameter.  I KNOW PVC pipe.  One major issue with it is that after a year or
so in sun light it becomes so brittle that if you step on it, it breaks.  He
covers this in his videos saying that painting the bow protects it from the
damaging UV rays.  I bought a piece of pipe to try to make one to test it
out.  If/when I get it finished and tested I’ll report back.

My main reason from bringing this up is that I am beginning to hear more
about these bows from several folks in my area.  I expect that we will begin
to see these bows showing up on our ranges.  We need to decide how we are
going to handle them BEFORE that date.  i.e. Will we accept them, we will
reject them?  If we reject them, we need to have a good solid reason for
rejection.  I recall several years ago an archer took their newly purchased
bow to the range at Pennsic where it was rejected.  This was one of those
$40 black all fiberglass bows and the archer bought it from Elk Ridge
Archery which is a very reputable and SCA friendly bowyer.  The archer took
it back to Elk Ridge and told them what the marshals had said.  When Deb,
Joe’s wife and co-owner, took the bow back to the range to ask why it was
rejected, all they said was “That’s a bad bow”.  No justification or reason
as to why or what.  There was nothing wrong with the bow.  I would rather
not be in that position with these PVC bows.

Just saying,

cog