[Archers] Recommendations

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Mon Apr 9 09:22:21 PDT 2012

Noble friends of the Bow,

I like Lord Christophe's comments, and since he is pinging off my
earlier post, I didn't trim (sorry).

I certainly agree with Lord Christophe's point that the awards come in a
specific order, and that we should consider Missiliers before the Yew
Bow. I think in general, the standards for both should be similar, but
much more demanding for the Yew Bow.

To answer his last point, according to Her Majesty's explanation, the
awards are not based on weapons performance. If we consider performance,
it should be supplemental. Thus a poor archer, or one who for reasons of
health (for example) cannot shoot, could still receive an award for
their other contributions. Now, is an opal roughly the equivalent the
Missiliers award (I don't know much about awards)? If so we could go
either way, but the Missiliers is a special recognition within our
discipline, and I would recommend them for that over the Opal if their
service was mostly to the archery community.

Anyway, my suggestions were only how I would go about evaluating a
candidate for an award based on my current understanding, and as points
of discussion for us all. I am certainly open to reevaluating my notions
now or in the future.

I have only done one awards recommendation in my four or so years in the
SCA, an AofA, and sadly that person went dormant due to job
responsibilities before the award was ever given (if it was approved).
As I get to know more people (especially archers), I am beginning look
around for other folks who are deserving.

Yours Aye,

Mungo