[Archers] Ceridwyn and the IKAC

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 10:08:50 PDT 2011

Greetings to the list:

I have tried to steer clear of public comment on the issue involving my daughter, Ceridwyn, and her IKAC score which is being held for unknown reasons. I appreciate the assistance of Lorelei, who is ever diplomatic and helpful, and other friends who have kindly intervened on Ceridwyn’s behalf.

I need only to make a few points to clarify the emails of yesterday so as to head off any confusion.

Two years ago as a 10-year-old Ceridwyn's 199 youth score was not posted as Lorenzo decided she should be shooting as an adult despite her age and her 14-lb bow. The yeoman category was subsequently created - - what we at the Needwood Forest Archery Company called the "Ceridwyn" rule, to allow young ones to be able to compete against other young archers around the known world but at adult distances. She chose this year to shoot "up" a category and compete in the new 15-and-under yeoman division.

Ceridwyn's IKAC score (the unposted one) is a 179 shot at adult distances. This represents a very, very good score for her - - one of the royal rounds was a 77 and the other a 57 - - but well within her general shooting this season (she is ranked bowman). This score is still 21 points under the limit of 200 set by Lorenzo for the division. There is no sandbagging going on here - - Ceridwyn is justifiably very proud of that day's shooting.

There have been a number of inquiries made by several concerned parties and Lorenzo has chosen to remain silent, not answering any and not following the procedures posted on his site. The result is that we do not know why the score is not posted. I think it best to let this go now. Anyone who was at the Baltimore Traditional Bowman shoot last May has seen Ceridwyn in action. Now you all, her archery community, know about her fine, if not acknowledged, IKAC for this year. She loves archery and you will continue to see her out and about the ranges when she is not dancing. I am so sorry this has become a cause célèbre, but it is also a lesson for her as well as a reminder to us all that, in the sca as in the mundane world, there is always hypocrisy and politics can render results both ugly and unfair.
Nuala