[Archers] Crossbows

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 05:34:01 PDT 2011

Feeling that my friendly jab at Mors' winning with a crossbow may have
started this discussion let me weigh in in a more serious manner.  My
observation is that those who shoot crossbow well tend to be very
serious archers.  As such they practice and practice a lot!  I don't
shoot crossbow but have talked with many who do and learned that a
crossbow is a tempermental weapon.  Crossbow folks tend to tinker with
the weapon a great deal.  I have also seen more crossbows fail on the
range than handbows.  And I fully subscribe to and correct anyone I hear
who promotes the myth that they would/could shoot better if only they
were using a crossbow.  Using a handbow, weapon of my choice, on
occasion I have out shot crossbow shooters.  I believe the real
"advantage" of a crossbow is the simple fact that typically the one
shooting it is a very dedicated archer and spends the time to perfect
the weapon, i.e. like tuning a handbow, and practices with the weapon.

Now there is a guy who shoots a crossbow at Pennsic that has a rifle
stock and a front AND rear sight.  My hackles get up every time I see
him on the range.  Last year the East kingdom DEM, they call him the
Archer General, held the weapon up and made the point of telling all of
us it was legal.  Not in Atlantia though.  But even with all the
"advantages" this guy has on that weapon he is still lucky if he can hit
the ground.  So while it severely irritates me that this modern device
is permitted on the range I take solace in the truth that Siegfried with
his "chunk of fire wood" can shoot circles around him along with many
handbow archers.

So simply stated, the main advantage of a crossbow shooter, or any
archer, is the degree of seriousness they devote to the activity.  If
you only shoot once a week you are not going to be as good as someone
who practices every day.  All that said, it is friendly banter and my
perception of the SCA is that it is a hobby and it is supposed to be
fun.  When it becomes serious, like work, I'll find other things to do
with my recreational time and money.

THL Christophe of Grey
Hard work spotlights the character of people.
Some turn up their sleeves,
Some turn up their noses,
And some don't turn up at all.
Sam Ewing