[Archers] A question for the group

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Fri Jun 3 07:55:13 PDT 2011

On another kingdom archery list where I often lurk, they are discussing
the use of tripods for crossbow users.  The original question of
legality of tripod use was posed by an archer who seems to have several
physical limitations, i.e. they have to use a crank to cock their
crossbow but it only has a prod draw weight of 90 pounds.  As we know
from pictures, the use of some device for stabilization of crossbows was
actually used in period.  The society rules do not specifically disallow
stabilizing devices for crossbows.  Rule #5 under handbows does state
stabilizers, sights, etc. are disallowed.  However, in this rule I
believe they are referring to those weights that stick out from the bow
as used in Olympic shooting.

I can see some serious issues if Atlantia chooses to allow a stabilizing
device for crossbow shooters.  I would expect that many crossbow RR
scores would soon soar into the ludicrous range as use of a stabilizing
device would/could remove the "wiggle" as a result of hand held human
breathing.  If stabilizing devices are allowed, I would then be in favor
of a different category for RR scores.  That would be crossbows using
stabilizing devices and leave the other category for handbows and hand
held crossbows as it currently is.  (Not getting into the discussion of
crossbows versus handbows and fairness of that!)

So question for the community, should stabilizing devices be allowed for
crossbow shooters?  If so, should there be any limitations to the nature
of these devices?  I've seen pictures of archers using a staff to
stabilize the bow but not tripods.  Others may have pictures of tripod
use.  Should there be a rule added to the Atlantian archery rules
specifically disallowing stabilizing devices, i.e. staffs, tripods, for
any bow?  Or should this entire discussion be the victim of the DELETE
button?

cog