[Archers] A question for the group

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Fri Jun 3 08:06:28 PDT 2011

M'Lord Christophe,

Just because something is period doesn't necessarily mean we HAVE to
accept it. There were stabilizing sticks for longbows (apparently used
in Germanic countries). I wouldn't allow points gained using such a
device to be counted on my range unless given specific direction to do
so by the DEM or by changes to the rules. The same is true (even more
so) for crossbows. Such devices give an unfair advantage to those
archers that use them, to the detriment of everybody else's fun.

As I read the rules, a stabilizer for a handicapped archer is already
allowed as an unspecified exception. What isn't clear is if their scores
can count toward winning a tournament or for royal rounds. Lorelei, give
us your views on this particular point.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir TA Marshal