[Archers] Beginner bow

Garth G. Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 2 09:30:34 PDT 2011

M'Lady Kateryn, Greetings.

That's a tough call. Most of the lower priced bows are just junk.

Your newbie could get by with a light traditional stick longbow for a
little over $100, but I don't recommend they start there. A traditional
bow shot off the hand takes quite a bit of patience and practice to use
well for most people. We wouldn't want a new archer to get frustrated.

They might consider a light take-down recurve from 3Rivers, FS Discount
Archery (lowest prices), or Old Bow.com. Some of these are less than
$200, even as low as $119. This is the sort of bow they could use for a
year or two with good results, then pass on to another archer when they
want something better. Just make sure you advise them NOT to get
something with an open riser that will have to be taped over to be SCA
legal. Most of these have wooden risers anyway.

Here are my best recommendations for moderately-priced bows they might
want to keep for years:

Black Rhino M-58 bow: $225 from Black Rhino:
http://www.bows.net/blackrhino.htm

Ragim Fox longbow, $239 from Old Bow.com:
http://www.oldbow.com/ragim_fox_longbow_ss1.htm

Ragim Wolf longbow, $249 from Old Bow.com:
http://www.oldbow.com/wolf_longbow_ss1.htm

Nirk/Martin Rebel recurve, $199 from 3Rivers:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Youth+Archery+Bows++Nirk+Rebel+Recurve+Bow+By%3A+Martin_c16_s94_p0_i2307X_product.html

3Rivers/Martin Shadow longbow, $250 from 3 Rivers:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Youth+Archery+Bows++3Rivers+%22Shadow%22+Longbow_c16_s94_p0_i3360X_product.html

Several of my friends shoot the Nirk Rebel with excellent results. This
is probably the best value for the money.

I favor the Shadow longbow as an excellent choice, though it only comes
in three draw weights. It is essentially the little brother (sister?) of
the Tred Barta longbow, also sold by 3Rivers, which I shoot. The Barta
bow is a truly outstanding bow, but not available below 40#. The Shadow
comes from the same factory and uses the same basic design, though it is
a bit shorter.

Some of the youngsters on my range use various Black Rhino bows. These
are excellent quality. The M-58 is large enough for an adult.

In the past I considered buying the Ragim Wolf for myself, but went
another direction. Now it and the slightly shorter Fox cost almost as
much as the Shadow. They are available in a greater range of draw
weights than the Shadow, but the Shadow is probably a better choice.

They might get a good used bow from Old Bow.com. These will be in good
condition, but selection may be limited. I don't recommend buying a used
bow on eBay. This is a good way to get burned with something that is
cracked or worn out.

Your new archer should work closely with an experienced marshal to
measure their correct draw weight. If possible they should find an
example of the bow they are interested in  (even if it is a different
draw weight) in they can hold it and feel for the comfort of the grip.

Kind regards,

Lord Mungo Napier, Shire of Isenfir TA Marshal