[Archers] I'd like to point out.....

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 16 14:37:53 PDT 2010

All on this list, this thread brings up old thoughts and some hard
feelings for me.  However, without getting into embarassing details let
me just say that from my point of view the solution to this entire issue
is QUALITY OF MARSHAL.  We have had situations in the past that resulted
in either dangerous situations, stupid rules, or embarassment for the
archery community due, again in my opinion, to bad marshalling.  If
Atlantian archery marshals are of quality and fully understand that
being an event TA MIC means you are the SAFETY OFFICER and not God for a
Day, then these situations would not come up.  Good marshals contact the
event autocrat BEFORE the event to discuss archery needs.  Kaytarzyna
says she has driven hours to investigate a new to her site.  That's the
type of quality marshalling I'm referring to.  Setting targets in areas
without consideration of the overshoot zones is not quality marshalling.
No matter how many rules we write we will NEVER be able to write a rule
to prevent stupid or poor quality.

cog with some very strong opinions on this