[Archers] shooting opportunities

James Kriebel James at Kriebel.cc
Thu Nov 4 13:39:55 PDT 2010

I'll take the hit on that!  I really did mean to shoot it, really I did,
even had the targets made.... ;)

Now with that and my recent suggestion, I guess I better step and shoot this
one a lot!

All in good fun. Hope those who did shoot had fun.
Jonathas
On Nov 4, 2010 3:02 PM, "Holly Gibbons" <holly0920 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, fellow archers, I can say that the summer challenge, the "circle
shoot"
> was a problem for a couple of reasons. For one thing, you could not tell
from 20

> yards if you had cleanly hit every outer circle. If you moved on and you
were
> wrong your inner shoots might be moot and if you reshot a circle and it
had in
> fact been hit you were wasting arrows. We at the Needwood Forest Company
of
> Archers found it very frustrating!
>
> Also I believe it was Jonathas who wanted bowmen and up to shoot at rather
small

> circumferences - - and therein lay the challenge. It was really a crossbow

> shoot. Where's your score, Jonathas? I tease you - - but it was indeed
> difficult  :)
>
> I suggest a fall shoot with no "gateway" requirements. How about nine
circles
> arranged in a pyramid. The bottom three are 11" diameter, the middle two
are 8"
> diameter and the topmost is 4.5" diameter. You have 6 arrows, your choice
of
> target. big guys 1 pt, middle guys 2 pts, little guy on top 3 pts. If you
hit
> all six individual circles, an extra 5 pts. You will have some choices to
make,
> but once you figure out what you are doing, it's clear shooting. Oh, and
unless
> it's a muti-target shoot with some fast and some really close and some
really
> far, crossbows should be their own category! Oh, and if your arrow does
> not hit the target you were aiming at it is out of play (no accidental
pts!) and

> one more thing, there are many ways to shoot this so try them all. Plus
one more

> thing, it would be great if all six circles were different colors . . . .
and
> no, I did not forget a timed round. I hate the very idea!
>
> Nuala of the Needwood Forest Company of Archers

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:32:08 -0400
> From: loreleielkins at aol.com
> To: archers at atlantia.sca.org
> Subject: [Archers] shooting opportunities: seasonal, winter, IKAC
>

> There are a couple opportunities for shooting something a little different
this
> winter.  First, we have the Winter Challenge:
> http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html Atlantia has participated in this
in the

> past.
>

> IKAC, just get out and do them. They are a lot of fun.  I think we just
did one
> or two last year locally.  We tend not to because we often have new or
beginner
> archers who see the IKAC as a daunting task.  We'll have to get them over
that.

> (Eirik, if you want to have a monthly IKAC shoot on a Baronial level, we
can set

> that up.)
>

> Also, we have our Atlantian seasonal challenge.  We had our summer
challenge,
> which didn't get much participation. During the summer months people are
usually

> busy with a ton of other things, but we are over due for our Fall
Challenge.
> Anyone want to come up with one?  The scoring should be straight forward
and the

> targets easy to understand and reproduce for all areas.  Let's see what we
can
> come up with this week and I'll post it before the weekend.
>

> Lorelei
>

> PS  The Summer Seasonal Challenge (The Circle Shoot -
> http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_current.php?R=2&Shoot=54) had only
6
> participants.  Gregge the Archer took first (and only) place for the
crossbow
> with 60 points.  Geoffrey and Nuala of Needwood tied for first place for
> Handbow.  Ceridwyn of Needwood Forest won first (and only) youth category
for
> Handbow.  Roshu of Rocksbury Mills took second place for Handbow and
Breccan of

http://seahorse.atlantia.sca.org/pipermail/archers-atlantia.sca.org/attachments/20101103/95209eab/attachment.html

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:45:27 -0400
> From: loreleielkins at aol.com
> To: holly0920 at yahoo.com, summerrain.wa at gmail.com
> Cc: archers at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
> Subject: Re: [Archers] Youth Archery
>
> Greetings!  I don't know of list or forum specifically for youth archers
and I
> can understand their feeling of isolation.  Our local group has one youth
archer

> who is continually voicing his opinion about having to compete with the
adults.

> I don't see a separate youth archery program starting up any time soon,
but I'm
> not sure there is a need for one.  In archery, we tend to take the youth
under
> our wing and include them on the line with the adults.  This seems to work
very
> well, as they learn from experienced archers.  I agree with Nuala that
Pennsic
> seems to be the place where youth archers can get together.
>

> I do encourage all local groups and marshals to recognize the efforts of
the
> youth archers and when holding events, to make sure there is a  youth
category
> in the competitive shoots.  A separate youth shoot is also desirable. You
may
> get one youth archer showing up, you may get 10, but at least they know
they are

> being encouraged to participate. In general I think we do a pretty good
job of
> this.
>

> New ideas are always welcome.
> Lorelei