[Archers] shooting opportunities

Holly Gibbons holly0920 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 12:02:49 PDT 2010

Well, fellow archers, I can say that the summer challenge, the "circle shoot"
was a problem for a couple of reasons. For one thing, you could not tell from 20

yards if you had cleanly hit every outer circle. If you moved on and you were
wrong your inner shoots might be moot and if you reshot a circle and it had in
fact been hit you were wasting arrows. We at the Needwood Forest Company of
Archers found it very frustrating!

Also I believe it was Jonathas who wanted bowmen and up to shoot at rather small

circumferences - - and therein lay the challenge. It was really a crossbow
shoot. Where's your score, Jonathas? I tease you - - but it was indeed
difficult  :)

I suggest a fall shoot with no "gateway" requirements. How about nine circles
arranged in a pyramid. The bottom three are 11" diameter, the middle two are 8"
diameter and the topmost is 4.5" diameter. You have 6 arrows, your choice of
target. big guys 1 pt, middle guys 2 pts, little guy on top 3 pts. If you hit
all six individual circles, an extra 5 pts. You will have some choices to make,
but once you figure out what you are doing, it's clear shooting. Oh, and unless
it's a muti-target shoot with some fast and some really close and some really
far, crossbows should be their own category! Oh, and if your arrow does
not hit the target you were aiming at it is out of play (no accidental pts!) and

one more thing, there are many ways to shoot this so try them all. Plus one more

thing, it would be great if all six circles were different colors . . . . and
no, I did not forget a timed round. I hate the very idea!

Nuala of the Needwood Forest Company of Archers

Message: 1