[Archers] New rule

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Sun Mar 21 07:58:10 PDT 2010

Christophe, while I do have similar issues with the wording of the
rules, you are overlooking the fact that 'official clarification' has
been given by Kynnyth during this thread.

To that end:

> The shooting line and a line to the target form a 90 degree angle.  Is
> the 30 degrees measured from the line to the target or the shooting
> line?  If measured from the line to the target, that leaves a 60 degree
> angle from the shooting line.  If measured from the shooting line that
> leaves a 60 degree angle from the line to the target.  The difference is
> substantial.  The old rule specified 30 degrees from the line to the
> target.  The new rule does not.  While some have one interpretation,
> others have another,  Confusion exists.

Kynnyth confirmed that this is not to be a change from the previous
rule.  It's the 'smaller' 30 degrees, from line to target.

> The next issue is "The safety zone will then extend 100 yards from ALL
> (my captials) points on the shooting line, or half the distance from the
> shooting line to a line parallel to the farthest target, whichever is
> greater."  This wording implies that the shooting line exists in a
> circle that is 100 yards in radius.  Many on this list have said that is
> not the case, but exact interpretation of the rule's wording implies the
> opposite, a circle with the shooting line in the middle.  Again,
> confusion exists.

He also clarified this one.  Stating that the intent was simply to
increase the farthest distance.  The shape is still the traditional
'home plate' shape.  Just that the back of it is 'at least' 100yds away
from the shooting line.

While I agree with you that having the rulings reworded would be GREATLY
desired, and that there are still concerns about the 'waiver' situation ...

Please do not overlook the good work that Kynnyth has been doing on this
list, and the clarifications / Earl Marshal's Interpretations that he
has provided.