[Archers] New rule

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sat Mar 20 18:09:51 PDT 2010

Marshals, I don't mean to re-stir the pot on this new rule issue but
from my point of view it is still very unclear and, from my area's
perspective, it is causing Atlantian archery to come to a halt.  I
believe clarification is needed yesterday if not sooner.  Herein are my
concerns.

As published in the March Acorn:
"At a minimum, each shooting station will have a safety zone that
extends 30 degrees from each end of the shooting line to a line even
with the furthest target, or 50 yards, whichever is closer."  How does
one measure this 30 degrees?  Let us consider the following geometry.
The shooting line and a line to the target form a 90 degree angle.  Is
the 30 degrees measured from the line to the target or the shooting
line?  If measured from the line to the target, that leaves a 60 degree
angle from the shooting line.  If measured from the shooting line that
leaves a 60 degree angle from the line to the target.  The difference is
substantial.  The old rule specified 30 degrees from the line to the
target.  The new rule does not.  While some have one interpretation,
others have another,  Confusion exists.

The next issue is "The safety zone will then extend 100 yards from ALL
(my captials) points on the shooting line, or half the distance from the
shooting line to a line parallel to the farthest target, whichever is
greater."  This wording implies that the shooting line exists in a
circle that is 100 yards in radius.  Many on this list have said that is
not the case, but exact interpretation of the rule's wording implies the
opposite, a circle with the shooting line in the middle.  Again,
confusion exists.

I would futher suggest that as these rules not only effect archery in
Atlantian but must be enforced the TA marshals that it would be an
excellent idea if the rules as posted on the kingdom web site were
updated.  This would provide a central, common area for all individuals
involved to read the rules for clarificiation.  At this point we have
one set of rules in the March Acorn, and if you either lost, misplaced
or never received your March issue you are without, and a second set of
rules on the kingdom web site.

If safety in archery is our goal leaving these matters in their current
highly confusing and unsettled state will not achieve that objective
and, I believe, have the net effect of destroying target archery in
Atlantia.  I suggest the wording be reworked for clarification and the
kingdom web site be updated.  Then we can all get back to enjoying an
activity we love.

Therefore I suggest the following rewording for the two issues above for
improved clarification:

At a minimum, each shooting station will have a safety zone that extends
30 degrees from a line extending from the shooting line to the
target.......etc

The safety zone will then extend 100 yards from the shooting line
towards the target....etc

Christophe of Grey