[Archers] Specifically, the 'written exception' rule

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 06:44:43 PST 2010

 Iagree that the "written exception" to the rule puts a great burden onthe DEM.  We are talking not only about event sites, but practiceranges as well (as I've been reminded).  Many of us have ranges in ourbackyards where we hold official practices. I would venture to guessthat most of these now fall within the category of needing a waiver,including my own home range.

Do we take pictures, draw diagrams, give a verbal description of thesite and send this to the DEM?  Does the DEM need to inspect each sitepersonally?  Obviously he can't do that.  Once a waiver is granted fora site, I assume that the waiver is then good permanently for thatsite.  I wouldn't think that a NEW waiver is needed every time we havean event and use the same range.  If that range changes slightly, do we then need another waiver or are the marshals trusted enough to make that call themselves?

According to the rule: "This waiver must be requested inwriting from the DEM-Target Archery only, and approval must be receivedin writing and retained by the Marshal in charge at the site." That last part...."retained by the MIC in charge at the site" concernsme too.  The MIC in charge at the site is likely to change frequently,does each new marshal need to obtain a waiver? Is there a way that thewaiver can go on file in a specific location, to be printed out forevents at a site where a waiver was previously granted?

Thoughts? Ideas?  Comments?

Workin it,