[Archers] Safety advice on atal-atals and crossbows

Charles Oliff caergarchery at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 08:33:56 PDT 2010

 I hadn't heard before that metal tips were required.  Just that they were
optional.
That being said, I've seen and used a number of darts without metal tips and
had no safety issues with them.  The only remote concern I can think of is
if the shaft hits a hard object just right that it might possibly splinter,
but I've never seen that happen, and I would expect that the dart would,
more than likely, have already been showing signs of cracking that would
hopefully be caught during inspection.  (of course, shattering can happen
with arrows too, even with tips)