[Archers] Safety advice on atal-atals and crossbows

loreleielkins at aol.com loreleielkins at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 07:31:19 PDT 2010

 Good responses from both Christophe and Janyn,

The nub on the atlatl needs to be securely in place, and the dimple at the base (behind the feathers) of the dart needs to be sound, not cracked.  There should be metal field points on the tip of the dart.

Crossbows: In addition to what Cog and Janyn said, the firing mechanism needs to be inspected to make sure it will not release too soon, or if the crossbow is bumped before the archer actually fires.  Since there are a number of firing mechanisms, the way each one is checked is a bit differently.  I suggest getting with one or more of our crossbowmen; Mors, Seamus, Gregge the Archer, Baron Jonathas or Siegfried and next time you see them on the range have them demonstrate the check for the firing mechanism. Also, make sure the prod is secure and not cracked, binding is not frayed, string is sound and body is not damaged/cracked, etc.

If this is something we need to add in greater detail to our marshal classes, we can do that. Teaching Marshals, take note.

Thanks!