[Archers] Trying to make some sense...

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Mon Jul 19 11:19:59 PDT 2010

> "Nor should we remove an autocrat's right to change the layout of the
> event and needs dictate."
>
> I disagree.  After the range fans are set, it becomes a safety issue.
> If an autocrat attempted to place a merchant booth inside the heavy
> fighter list, wouldn't his right to change the layout be trumped?
>
> But I see your point.  I just dont want to see changes to the range fan
> made casually by someone who doesn't know archery.  Perhaps the MOL
> should have a voice if the autocrat wants to change designated safety
> zones already in place.

No, it's the autocrat's right to setup the event however they wish, and
it's their right to decide what activities happen.

If the autocrat decides that they want a merchant booth where the heavy
list is, then it's the Heavy Marshal's duty to shut down all heavy
fighting for the day.

In the end, the autocrat decides what activities happens, it's their event.

Now I should of course point out that this is an 'extreme' end
situation.   Obviously if an autocrat wishes to do that.  There would be
a nice calm gentle discussion about what impacts are going to happen, if
such a thing happens, to give the autocrat full information to act upon.
  The autocrat then needs to make the call if, being told that putting a
merchant booth inside of the heavy list is going to make the Heavy
Marshal cancel heavy fighting ... they still decide to do it ...

It's the Heavy Marhsal's duty at that point to actually shut it down for
safety.   The Autocrat has decided, via disregarding safety
reccomendations, that there would be no heavy combat at their event.

Autocrat is the Manager/CEO/etc of the event.  They make the final calls.

Now again, ALL THAT BEING SAID ... If one feels that the autocrat is
acting in poor judgement for the 'betterment of the event', one can go
to the Seneschal, to whom the autocrat is deputy (by Kingdom Law/Policy).

And give a final plea to the Seneschal to change the autocrat's mind.

But if the end, if the autocrat decides to change the layout in such a
way that it removes the needed safety barrier.  Then the marshal needs
to shut archery down.

The marshal has no right to 'demand' that archery take place at the
event.  It's the autocrats choice.  The only 'right' the marshal has, is
to shut down the activity if proper safety isn't possible.

Siegfried

PS.  Hopefully this is a VERY RARE occurrence as we all play nice
together.