[Archers] Fwd: I need your help

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Mon Aug 23 12:27:51 PDT 2010

> First off, having entered the atlatl field somewhat later than many of
> you, I don't recll the first round of suggestions, those being 120cm
> target, at 10, 20 and 30 yards.  Be that as it may I have some problems
> with 10 yards, only because it means one CANNOT practice atlatl
> alongside archers who start at 20 yards.

Well, actually you can.  Assuming you are using a different target face
anyway (such as the 120cm) ... it just requires one shooting line with
the Atlatl target setup 10yds closer.

> Finally, 3 darts vs. 6 darts.  I don't know what standards you all are
> referring to.

Standards were just that most people were buying in 3's and throwing in
3's.   Just like how thrown weapons folks tend to do the same.  It came
from there.

>  But having seen how low current scores are, and how few
> people have submitted them, I honestly think we should go with 6 darts.
> Three darts doesn't give me enough time to learn anything.  Six darts
> give one more time to adjust their throws enough to hopefully get some
> points during a round.

Yup, understood.   Just also note that most likely, going to 6 darts
would mean doubling all the current 'rankings', since you have twice as
many throws to try to get them.   So while statistically people would be
having a great chance to score 'some' points ... it wouldn't be
magically making people go into higher ranks.

(I can elaborate more if needed or there is confusion)

Versus moving closer ranges, and/or moving to the 120cm, which will both
magically make scores higher :)

> I've been throwing atlatl consisting at archery practice for most of the
> summer now, and I've yet to run a royal round because, well, I'd have no
> score to submit using the current rule of 3 darts/round at a 60cm target.

*nod*  At this point I'd strongly suggest that a 120cm target be used.
Whether it moves 10yds closer or not.  Seems to only make sense, given
the intrinsic nature of the weapon.