[Archers] Fwd: I need your help

Robyn Becker reyne_telarius at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:32:14 PDT 2010

OK, having read through everyone else's ideas, let me add my own.

First off, having entered the atlatl field somewhat later than many of you, I don't recll the first round of suggestions, those being 120cm target, at 10, 20 and 30 yards.  Be that as it may I have some problems with 10 yards, only because it means one CANNOT practice atlatl alongside archers who start at 20 yards.  Not as much of an issue for Bright Hills atlatlists, since the Baltimore BOwmen has such a large range, but for those with less space, this could limit people's range time.

I would prefer to stick to 20, 30 and 40 yards so that we can run atlatl royal rounds at the same time as we run archery royal rounds.  I have a harder time hitting things up close with an atlatl.  The farther away they are, the more likely I am to hit them.

Now, I could definitely go with a 120cm target.  Yesterday, I spent 2 hours tossing darts at one of Seamus's large targets, probably 4x6', and I was hitting it a lot better than I hit a standard archery target.  That was at 20 yards.

Finally, 3 darts vs. 6 darts.  I don't know what standards you all are referring to.  But having seen how low current scores are, and how few people have submitted them, I honestly think we should go with 6 darts.  Three darts doesn't give me enough time to learn anything.  Six darts give one more time to adjust their throws enough to hopefully get some points during a round.

I've been throwing atlatl consisting at archery practice for most of the summer now, and I've yet to run a royal round because, well, I'd have no score to submit using the current rule of 3 darts/round at a 60cm target.

Since we ALL seem to have slightly different ideas and beliefs about this, maybe we should set up a testing system.  Let each of us with their own distance/dart # idea test it out, and see how they score.  Based on these scores, we could then decide what the best system would be, to make it challenging, but not completely discouraging.

Reyne

A true friend is someone who knows all your faults and habits, and loves you anyway.
Per chevron purpure and vert, two sheaves of arrows and a griffin argent