[Archers] New Archery Champions

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Wed Apr 15 12:36:31 PDT 2009

Sounds good, but a little bit of confusion here perhaps:

> His Majesty Logan has decided to choose an archery champion to be part
> of his court and this was done at coronation last weekend.  The official
> title for that individual will be Archer Champion to be in line with
> Brewer Champion, Baker Champion, etc.

These positions aren't known as 'Brewer Champion' etc.  But 'Royal
Brewer', 'Royal Baker', etc.  As seen in Appendix F of Kingdom Law where
they are chartered:

http://law.atlantia.sca.org/Law.html#F

>  This DOES NOT mean the
> traditional Atlantian Archery Champion position as determined via the
> Kingdom Archery Champion shoot/event is invalid.  In fact that position
> ALSO exists and the person holding that position will have the title of
> Royal Archer.

Which would imply that instead 'it' is the Royal Notable position, and
would be the chartered one, following similar procedures for it's choice.

>   The Archery Champion
> position lasts for the duration of the crown who makes the appointment.

If supposed to be in line with the Royal Brewer / Baker / etc positions,
then it would be 1 year and decided via a competition at the end (IE,
like the Kingdom Archery Championship)

> The Royal Archer position lasts, as before, for one year and assumes the
> duty of designing, organizing, and running the following year's competition.

So, piecing this together, I'm assuming that one of the two following
situations is what was finally decided ... can you please confirm CoG?

Situation #1)

* His Majesty has appointed himself an Archery Champion, just as often
Kings will appoint Heavy or Rapier champions for themself, and/or her
Majesty.  These are purely ceremonial positions that Majesties are
always able to create when they wish.

* Our previous Kingdom Archery Championship and subsequent Kingdom
Archery Champion, are being modified to be codified as true Kingdom
Notables, Kingdom Law will be updated, and we will change the name to
'Royal Archer', to match the terminology used by other Kingdom Notables.

Situation #2)

* His majesty is declaring a Royal Archer, as he sees fit (whether being
codified into Notables Law or not), as a member of his court.

* The position we have previously had, of Kingdom Archery Champion,
decided by a tournament, is unchanged.

Or is it something else?

Just wanting to make sure we are all on the same page.