[Archers] Pennsic shoot

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 07:39:51 PST 2008

Just had an idea on how to deal with kingdoms with large turn outs
versus those with smaller turn outs, normalize the scores.  That is,
total the scores for all teams from each kingdom then divide the total
by the number of teams competing.  That would result in "one" score for
each kingdom represented that could be competitively compared to all
other kingdoms that shot.

i.e.
Kingdom A has 5 teams for a total score of 110.  110 / 5 = 22
Kingdom B has one team for a total of 24.  24 / 1 = 24
Kingdom B wins.

This idea could be used to determine the overall winner.  I still like
the idea of setting categories for Novice through expert archers.  As
for doing this over many days, I agree with Allen, not in favor of that.
While it is new it would get boring after a while.  I think we could
advertise this and do it in one day on one of the ranges without having
to close all the ranges down.  There is no reason we could not design
the shoot to have multiple things to shoot at and allow a whole line of
archers to shoot at once.  Think in terms of the advancing man range.
Only in this case targets at distance X value such and such and are
different than targets at distance Y with different scoring.  Team A
shoots at targets A then moves down the line next time to shoot targets
B.  Teams continue through the line until all "stations" are shot.  This
way we could run multiple groups at the same time and just process them
through the shoot stations and do it all on one range leaving the other
ranges open from practice or other things.

cog