[Archers] Request input on bow inspection at events.

LoreleiElkins at aol.com LoreleiElkins at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 08:48:05 PDT 2007

Greetings to you all!  I have been thinking about an issue for some  time now
and thought I'd pose it to the list for discussion and possible
enlightenment.

I noticed at a few events that when it was time to inspect the bows, some
people said, "oh I'm a marshal I can inspect that for you." and the person
handed them the bow.  The marshal was not necessarily affiliated with the  event.
Not that I don't believe they are a marshal and it is nice that  they offered
to help, BUT, for the sake of "quality control" shouldn't they be  letting
the event marshals handle that?

I'm trying to think ahead to the events I'm doing in the future.  I'd  much
rather have a designated bow inspector than someone coming up to me saying,
"oh so and so already inspected my bow".  I like the fact that we are a  casual
and tight knit group of archers and I love the fact that there are so  many
willing hands, but I also like things to be a little more organized when it
comes to safety issues.  I know at the larger events archers need stickers  so it
isn't as much of an issue.

When it comes right down to it, I'm concerned about covering my ass.   If
some marshal I am not familiar with does a shoddy inspections and the  equipment
fails and someone gets hurt and I'm the marshal in charge...it is my
responsibility.

I didn't see anything in our written works about this issue but I may have
overlooked something.  If anyone knows, please forward the information.
Otherwise, I'm happy to hear other's input on this. Thank you!

Respectfully,
Lady Lorelei Greenleaf