[Archers] Ludicrous Rank, was: Re: Royal Round web site

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Mon Nov 20 09:27:02 PST 2006

Greetings unto the archery marshals of Atlantia, please allow me to set
a few facts straight in regards to the Ludicrous Rank, and Gregge's
query ...

1) First of all, there was no conspiracy behind/between Jonathas and I,
to make that extra rank in the system, and to make it show up special,
because I happened to be the one who achieved it.

Instead, Baron Jonathas who made this excellent system for us, was
approached a while back by the Kingdom of AEthlemearc, to retool the
same system for them to use, since they saw how wonderful it was.

When doing that, they asked if it could show the Ludicrous unofficial
rank separately on the pages, as they felt that would be desired.

Baron Jonathas made those changes for their version, and went ahead and
included them into our version of the software as well, as he saw no
harm in doing so.  And I most certainly do not fault him for that
assumption.  There was a mention in passing once from him, a year or
more ago, that there was something 'special' in place for folks who hit
Ludicrous.  I did not know exactly what it was, nor did I bother to
inquire further.

All of the input I have gotten on the matter since, will be taken into
account.  Thank you all for your comments.

However:

2) There will not (at least as long as I am Kingdom Marshal) ever be an
'official rank' of Ludicrous.  I do not wish that to happen.  In the SCA
the rank of Ludicrous has a long tradition of being an unofficial rank,
that archers across the SCA support and understand.  There is strong
opposition in the SCA archery community against any Kingdom making an
official rank of Ludicrous.  One kingdom did it once, and received so
many complaints from the rest of the SCA, that it was made back into an
unofficial rank.

I firmly support the fact that this is a community-based unofficial
rank, and the tradition that goes with it.  I would not want to see
Atlantia make it official.

So that bit, will not be changing.