[Archers] New Bow Classification (Period)

Siegfried crossbow at freeshell.org
Wed Jan 26 13:06:17 PST 2005

> I have what may be a less then brilliant question.
>
> What is the drive for the "Period" Classification?
>
> I guess I am asking is, why people feel there is a need for a "Period"
> hand bow classification?
>
> It might help to understand the reason to help us understand the intent
> of the rules on what is and what is not a "period" bow.

Ok, you had to ask, and therefore, I will write; however, bear with me,
it's a bit of a story...

Originally this whole topic did not begin as 'lets add another
category'.  Let's even take a step FARTHER back in fact ...

Back to 2 unevents ago.

When at the time, it was announced that Archery, being a 'Martial
activity', was going to need to meet the same 'nothing that looks
non-period' requirement that Heavy/Rapier is needing to meet.

This of course, would have HUGE ramifications for the target archery
field (targets, modernish bows, kicking people off the range because
they wore tennis shoes, etc)

After MUCH discussion, it was decided that in fact the ruling only
applied to 'field disciplines', ie, list-field, and therefore
Heavy/Rapier/CombatArchery/Siege ... Not Target Archery, Not Thrown
Weapons, Not Equestrian, etc.

However, us 'other disciplines' were encouraged to, in fact, encourge
presenting a more period appearance at events.  So that newbies,
mundanes, etc would walk by and say: "Wow, that's a bunch of medieval
archers."   Not: 'Hey look, a bunch of people in funny clothes shooting
recurves at Barney'

Hence a letter I put in the Acorn a while back, about just thinking
about what you bring to the archery field.  I know that I myself used to
always show up with this bright yellow, huge, tacklebox on wheels to
every archery shoot I attended.  No attempt to hide it, throw a bit of
cloth over it, etc.  Things like that are easily changed, and make a
huge appearance difference.

Ok, now keep that in mind.

Now, at a similar time, another set of thoughts were surfacing.  The
fact that currently there were some issues that people were seeing in
the current 'longbow' vs. 'recurve' classification.

In that you can have VERY different types of bows grouped together.
You've got a true English Longbow (ELB) as well as a modern flatlimbed
laminate longbow in the same category ... Longbow

You've got a Mongolian Recurve, a bent stick recurve, and a modern
flatlimbed sight window recurve all in the same category ... Recurve

When you look at that, the problem there is that the modern(traditional)
styled bows, whether recurve or longbow, have rather similar shooting
characteristics to them.  Also a the ELB, Mongolian, Bent stick, etc are
all much more similar in their characteristics than they are to the
flatlimb laminates.

Therefore, add those two ideas together ... and an idea was formed and
discussed (No, we aren't yet to adding the period category, bear with me)

The original idea therefore, was to CHANGE the two categories of longbow
and recurve ... to two different categories ... call them for lack of
better terms right now: 'Traditional' and 'Modern'

The idea was to group the like shooting bows together.  All the
flat-limbed laminate style bows would fall under 'Modern', be they
recurved or not.  And all the period style bows would fall under
'traditional'.

This would have the benefit, of also encouraging more folks over time to
obtain the more 'traditional' looking bows, and not Martin X-100's (No
effense meant to folks with Martin X-100's, My Lady and I own a PSE
Heritage ourselves which we will both shoot on occasion - Just that I
have seen more and more people going out and spending $100's on an X-100
or the equivilant, instead of the same on a good traditional longbow.)

Ok, that was the idea.

When presented to a large group of marshals, there was an issue to this
plan that became apparent.  A number of people would not be happy
(and/or thought others would not be happy) ... who had spent alot of
money on a Longbow that would now be classified with the recurves.  More
to the point that the current classifications may have even encouraged
folks who had started shooting a recurve, to go and spend good money on
a 'longbow' to compete in the longbow category, just now to be told that
both their bows would be in the same category.

Given this problem ... You are now seeing the 'solution' that came up.

The idea, to still gain the benefits given above ... of encouraging a
more period appearance shooting, of truly showing someone's skill, that
they had done that score with a 'period' bow, AND, put similar
'disadvantaged bows' in their own category....

The idea arose to leave the current categories alone, and add the new
category, Period ...

This way, noone would find one of their bows suddenly 'downgraded' in
apparent status.  But only 'upgraded' and shown the respect that that
bow should deserve.

Ok, fingers hurting ... I'm shutting up for now :)