[Archers] FW: [Senior Marshallate] September Acorn Letter

Ignacio teatimemates at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 20:37:03 PDT 2003

Message
-----Original Message-----
From: marshalstaff-bounces at atlantia.sca.org
[mailto:marshalstaff-bounces at atlantia.sca.org]On Behalf Of Alan Gravesend
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 10:55 PM
To: chronicler at atlantia.sca.org
Cc: Marshalstaff at atlantia.sca.org
Subject: [Senior Marshallate] September Acorn Letter

Greetings to Fair Atlantia from her Earl Marshal!

I hope you have all returned hale and sound from the late wars in our
northwest.  This month I have but a short note, to inform all that the
Office of the Earl Marshal will be taking on the task of enforcing Their
Majesties' new law regarding non-period appearance on the field.  All
marshals are responsible for checking the equipment of all participants on
the field (except waterbearers) to ensure that it passes for its medieval or
renaissance equivalent.  This clearly falls under the mandate of the Earl
Marshal, per Corpora, for those of you who would care to look it up.  On all
the fields (armored and rapier lists, melees, woods battles, etc) where we
marshal, participants will be expected to meet the new criteria.

The new rules will take effect in December, and as of that time, those who
do not meet the new requirements will not be allowed to participate.  I am
aware that there is much discussion and controversy over this, and trying to
regulate this in a hard-and-fast manner would be difficult.  Therefore, all
specifics will not be laid out in policy, which is hard to change and
communicate.  Instead, a portion of the Earl Marshal's web site
(http://marshal.atlantia.sca.org/) will be devoted to this purpose, so that
there can be quick updates as specifics arise.  I feel this will allow
sufficient immediacy and flexibility for this new law to be implemented in a
fair and rational fashion.  As a side note, at His Majesty's Assessment
Battles, the King and I inspected most of the fighters present, and most
passed as they were - those who didn't for the most part had one or two
items that could be easily fixed.  This new requirement is frankly not that
onerous; it does require us to be true to the spirit of what we are meant to
be doing.  we are meant to be trying to recreate the middle ages - with that
in mind, assuming a fair execution of our duties as marshals, I do not see
how anyone can object.

By the way, in case it has escaped anyone's notice, the new law applies to
marshals on the field as well:  I expect all marshals will set an example in
this matter.

Regards,
Gravesend