insurance [Archers] Clarification on Waiver Rule?

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Tue May 14 21:45:34 PDT 2002

>Perhaps I can help.

Yes, you have helped ... greatly.  However, I do have a few 'curious'

>First, at events, there have been no changes in archery policy that I know
>of. The MoLs office is NOT handling waivers. There is NOT a $1 fee for
>handling waivers at events, since you're not filling out an additional
>waiver. No changes for SCA events. Zero, zilch, nada, zippo.

Ok ...

>At local practices, your archers should be signing waivers, the same as
>your heavies do. Target, combat, whatever. If they have a blue card, they
>don't have to.  If you're shooting things though the air, you should sign
>a waiver with your marshal. Yes, it can be a blanket waiver sheet.

Here is where, I do get a bit confused.  So if it is important to do this
at practices, why isn't it important to do at events?  It would seem
actually more important to me to do it at events.  For the same reasons
that we have always made fighters have a waiver at events, yet were lax at
local practices (Which has now changed that we are strict at both).

So while I hate to ask for more paperwork, I am confused as to why we would
only need it at practices, yet at an event, with lots of people, and lots
that the marshal doesn't know, that we don't need them.

>  Yes, the archery marshal has to keep track of it, but only until it gets
> sent in to the fabulous wavier secretary, who handles that paperwork
> (collects, stores, tracks) so you don't have to.
>
>Every quarter, your archery marshal should be handing that paperwork over
>to your group's knight marshal, and it should be being forwarded to the
>kingdom waiver secretary.

Thank you for this information ... I didn't know this, since our local Mol
(who is the wife of our Knight Marshal) has taken it upon herself to just
take care of the waivers for heavy/rapier ... so I assumed she was just
keeping them herself.  Didn't realize that they are being passed on.  Good
information to know.

>Does that cover all of the problems of hitting someone who wasn't part of
>practice who you happen to shoot with an arrow? NO, of course not. But
>it's better than nothing. If you want to go there, consider that you're
>more likely to argue your way into even more waivers.

Well, actually, yes/no.  It would be a SIMPLER system (In my mind) if
simply at every event, everyone had to sign a roster waiver at troll, bamm,
done with.  Everyone is waivered, and you don't have to worry about it for
heavy/rapier/archery/by-standers/etc.

But that's just me ...