insurance [Archers] Clarification on Waiver Rule?

Rick Steeves ricks at duke.edu
Tue May 14 19:37:35 PDT 2002

Perhaps I can help.

First, at events, there have been no changes in archery policy that I know
of. The MoLs office is NOT handling waivers. There is NOT a $1 fee for
handling waivers at events, since you're not filling out an additional
waiver. No changes for SCA events. Zero, zilch, nada, zippo.

At local practices, your archers should be signing waivers, the same as
your heavies do. Target, combat, whatever. If they have a blue card, they
don't have to.  If you're shooting things though the air, you should sign a
waiver with your marshal. Yes, it can be a blanket waiver sheet. Yes, the
archery marshal has to keep track of it, but only until it gets sent in to
the fabulous wavier secretary, who handles that paperwork (collects,
stores, tracks) so you don't have to.

Every quarter, your archery marshal should be handing that paperwork over
to your group's knight marshal, and it should be being forwarded to the
kingdom waiver secretary.

Does that cover all of the problems of hitting someone who wasn't part of
practice who you happen to shoot with an arrow? NO, of course not. But it's
better than nothing. If you want to go there, consider that you're more
likely to argue your way into even more waivers.

Master Corwyn Sinister
Seneschal, Atlantia
Warranted (last I checked) combat archer.