[Archers] Target Archery Badge (fwd)

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Wed May 1 14:48:56 PDT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 05:00:58PM -0400, Deedee L Cole wrote:
> Strictly defined by a previous EM (Duke Galmr), there is NO distinction
> from one marshal to another.  He was saying that ALL marshalls should
> use the crossed swords.
>
> There was a lot of debate at the time, that it would cause a lot of
> confusion during large events, when a person wanting an inspection might
> just look for someone in the black tabard, and assume that that person
> was qualified to do the inspection.  The confusion would stem from the
> following types of situations (at least)
>  - a heavy fighter approaching a CA marshal
>  - a combat archer approaching a heavy marshal
>  - etc....
>
> Still, last I remember hearing, he had not given in.  It might have

That general discussion has been going on for years at the Society
level as well.  Last I had known, the previous Society Archery Marshal
was planning to submit a badge for the archery marshallate ("Sable, two
arrows in saltire Or", IIRC), but it never reached the heralds.  (I was
the primary herald he was consulting with for design and conflict, but
not for filling out and submitting forms.  It never got onto a Letter of
Intent.)

> Also, whether it was going to be highly enforced was never pushed,
> nor was the fact that Target Archery and Thrown Weapons were
> not 'marshal activities' (meaning contact in my book), and could be
> treated as different.

They're not "martial" activities but they are "marshalled" activities,
and do fall under the overall aegis of the Society Earl Marshal.  As
such, until individual badges for the subsidiary functions are
registered, it is perfectly appropriate for any marshal to wear the
crossed swords.

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-    /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles           \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN