[Archers] Archery rules

Hank steinfeld at tqci.net
Wed May 1 16:07:07 PDT 2002

Greetings fellow Marshals and archers,

I will be brief, those that have said the use of straps is for accuracy are correct.  I am an NAA instructor/coach and the use of this particular piece of equipment has little to do with safety.  The use of a wrist sling or finger sling (the correct term) is to permit the hands to be open and therefore not induce any odd forces on the bow during the draw and release.  Safety is NOT the reason.  Now whether or not to allow its use is another question.  Is there any period documentation for its use?  If yes, then use it, but do so with the understanding of why.  Personally, I suspect not based on the technology of the bows at the time.

As for sighting marks on the bow, I believe that this is common practice everywhere within the known world and ancient world as well.  Early crossbows had sights, why would a longbow not.  Further, and this is important, is there a reason why we should advocate creating a disadvantage to our Kingdom in inter Kingdom competition?

As for an average for the Marshal, I would like to believe that this should not need to be a requirement.  Marshals should be shooting and reporting scores.  If it is believed that this somehow will convey a level of ability or understanding of the sport, I teach both level 1 and level 2 courses for the NAA and the average amount of time on a range for a level 1 instructor is only 4 hours.  I like to shoot a little more so it bumps to 5 to 6, but it is still not that much time all in all.  For a level 2 instructor it is a bit more.  Focus needs to be on safety of participants and spectators, instruction, when asked for, and a challenging shoot.

That's my two cents

Muirghen