[Archers] Event Report

Ignacio teatimemates at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 5 20:01:28 PST 2002

Marshals:

I want to thank you all for your responses. And I will explain a little
further and answer some of these thoughts.

The archery handbook mentions specifically the event reports are to be sent
to the KTAM. (I hope I am answering for not only myself as the present KTAM
but for future ones.) We have been lax on that in the near past. Seeing I
have not been around that long (basically just two+ years) I do not know
about things further back. The Event report has been on line for about two
months.

-------------------from an email
Are quarterly reports being re-instated?  For the last number of years, we
have only had a reporting requirement in association with events.
--------------------

I have been saying that I was going to get the quarterly report on-line for
at least that long. Well I got an email the other day that instigated the
action. The main part of the email is as follows:
-------------------------------------
To all Kingdom Archery Officers and Thrown Weapons Officers.
Greetings,
>From Master Gwilym
          Society Archery Marshal
Re: reporting to this office.

First of all I wish to complement all who have reported to this office
during 2001. Many of the reports were excellent in content, and in how they
were executed.

Now, I wish you to take the time to review the listings at the bottom of
this page. If you find your kingdoms name among those listed there  ((we
were not (IE,M)))-  I have received reports from you. If you do not see your
kingdoms name, I
have not received a report in the past calendar year. While in the past,
reports to Society officers have not been ‘required’ I’m afraid this is no
longer so. The Society Earl Marshal wishes to have a report from me on the
following dates: Mar 15, June 15, Sept 15, and Dec 15. And to be included in
it are reports from each of you.

What do I need to see? Well I know that you need to report to your Kingdoms
Earl Marshal from time to time. Copies of these reports are good. Let me
know what your pleased about, or what your not. How are your archery
programs progressing? Are the ranks of archers growing? Are the ranks of the
marshals growing? Has anyone came up with any new ideas, or rehashed an old
one with good results?

So you see that these reports are now required. And of course the effect
trickles downhill before it goes back uphill. this means that I will need a
report from each group by the first of the above mentioned months to do the
cutting and pasting I need to do to get all the data in. Do not worry about
it for March. I will take what I have and send that in. There is about a
year of data to up-load to the society.

-----------------------from an email
I don't mind sending a quarterly report if that is what you want; however we
are  a small Shire with 2 events annually;  both  have target archery.
There is no other archery activity the rest of the year - no practices,
nothing.  There may be other groups falling into this same category, which
would result in several reports with N/A at all levels, just adding to the
stuff you have to keep up with.
-------------------------

Yes I would even like a report like mentioned above. That way I will check
of each group and know that all are responding. The report will also mention
items that the KTAM might not have gotten wind of yet from that last report,
activity, etc.

I will use Siegfried's email as the basis for the answer of the rest of the
stuff. (thanks)

>"Areas enclosed by group"
>Is it really necessary to include this in the quarterly report?  This
>information is something that is recorded (fairly specifically) at Kingdom
>level by another office (Seneschal).  Is there a reason for us to
>duplicate
>this?  At the very least, it seems perhaps that this information may only
>need to be something sent once to you, Ignacio, for you to have in future
>reference.  It isn't something that is going to be changing very
>often at all.

Areas - This one is a good constructive comment that I will implement
immediately. Yes, send the data, but only the first time. Once I get the
data from everyone I will take it off the on-line report.

>"Status change of existing Marshals"
>Perhaps I am mistaken (it happens often), but isn't this something
>that the
>Kingdom Target Archery Marshal should already know ... assuming that this
>is information about a marshal going inactive due to not taking the class,
>etc.  Which in fact, the KTAM would know better, in the case of marshals
>that the group marshal doesn't see often.  Now, if this is meant for
>'general status messages', like: "Well Jerry isn't playing much
>recently do
>to an injury, but Debbie has been helping run practices."  Then I see more
>use to it.

Status - the KTAM 'should' be informed of all that type of data. But it does
not always happen. Plus it catches any activity or non activity that might
have been overlooked (in activity of a marshal in the last year, remember it
is two years between required classes). It would also pick up anything of
note since the last quarterly or event report. And yes, we want to hear
about 'but Debbie has been helping run practices' type comments.

>"New Marshals"
>Again, like above, seems to be something that the KTAM will already know
>anyway, so why need we repeat it?  Also, theoretically, someone who lives
>within a local group, could go through all the steps to becoming a
>marshal,
>without the local marshal knowing it (since the MIT form never
>asks for the
>local marshal/etc)  Not that it would probably ever happen, but it could.

The KTAM will be hearing about these things as a past happening. Especially
if I can get the time to initiate the regional marshal program. And this
could be a good avenue for the group to get assistance on a new person
working as a MIT.

>"Events"
>Wouldn't you have already gotten all the event reports?  And again,
>therefore know all this info?

Event in this form is the event title and not all the data associated with
it. It would just make it easier for the KTAM to combine all the data (cut
and paste) for the kingdom report.

>"Questions"
>Seems a bit odd for a 'report'.  If someone had a question, wouldn't they
>ask you at any point.  Not wait 3 months to ask on a 'report'?

You would be surprised!!

>A couple of other notes.  No other 'local level marshals' are required to
>make quarterly reports, only event reports (I speak of heavy/rapier/etc).

See top of email (ref - email from Master Gwilym Society Archery Marshal)

>Secondly, can our event reporting not be 'tied in' to the system currently
>in place on the Marshal's Website?
>http://marshal.atlantia.sca.org/Forms/EventReport.html
>This form is designed for all types of reports to come in through it ...
>heavy/rapier/siege weapons/etc ...  It seems an easy and logical thing to
>do, to add archery into the droplist and use it for archery as well.

Yes it is a common report. But it is quite obviously a report for
'fighters'. And at least for now, if you prefer to use that report you may
do so. As long as the KTAM gets a copy. For now while I am the KTAM I will
see if it is not to difficult to work with. But I prefer the report from the
archery marshal's page.

>Finally, just an 'odd rule' note:  Currently, by the rules, the
>marshal-in-charge of the entire event, must submit an event report,
>reporting on all marshallate activities ... which would of course include
>archery.  So has the archery responsibility been lifted from the
>marshal-in-charge, if they are different from the 'person running the
>archery tourney'.  Or must two separate reports be submitted?  One by the
>marshal in charge to the kingdom earl marshal, and one by the
>'marshal-in-charge-of-target-archery' to the kingdom target
>archery marshal.

I will accept the event report that goes to the Earl Marshal - IF it
properly covers the archery activity for that event. If all that is in the
report is 'there was archery and there was 10 archers  doing Royal Rounds' -
no that is not good enough. But I think ya'll know what I mean by referring
to the on-line event report. If all that is put into the report to the Earl
Marshal, that's great.

I do not like the paperwork side of this as much as the rest of you. But it
has to be done. So the simpler that it can be done at your level, and still
get all the data, the simpler it is for me. I have to do what you do times
the quantity of groups in the kingdom.

I hope this covers the subject properly for all of you.  I will try my best
to cover everything that I can. (And as some would say - I am very trying.)

Ignacio

Honor, Valor, Knowledge, and Service