[Archers] Event Report

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 4 21:29:48 PST 2002

Greetings Ignacio, and all those other marshals assembled ...

I looked over these reports, and while the event report seems wonderfully
straight forward, I had a number of questions about the Quarterly report ...

Let's step through the report lines:

"Areas enclosed by group"
Is it really necessary to include this in the quarterly report?  This
information is something that is recorded (fairly specifically) at Kingdom
level by another office (Seneschal).  Is there a reason for us to duplicate
this?  At the very least, it seems perhaps that this information may only
need to be something sent once to you, Ignacio, for you to have in future
reference.  It isn't something that is going to be changing very often at all.

"Reporting Marshal"
Nothing wrong here :)

"Status change of existing Marshals"
Perhaps I am mistaken (it happens often), but isn't this something that the
Kingdom Target Archery Marshal should already know ... assuming that this
is information about a marshal going inactive due to not taking the class,
etc.  Which in fact, the KTAM would know better, in the case of marshals
that the group marshal doesn't see often.  Now, if this is meant for
'general status messages', like: "Well Jerry isn't playing much recently do
to an injury, but Debbie has been helping run practices."  Then I see more
use to it.

"New Marshals"
Again, like above, seems to be something that the KTAM will already know
anyway, so why need we repeat it?  Also, theoretically, someone who lives
within a local group, could go through all the steps to becoming a marshal,
without the local marshal knowing it (since the MIT form never asks for the
local marshal/etc)  Not that it would probably ever happen, but it could.

"Practices"
Makes sense :)

"Events"
Wouldn't you have already gotten all the event reports?  And again,
therefore know all this info?

"Problems"
Makes sense, perhaps the only place to report 'general problems' with
archery in the group.

"Questions"
Seems a bit odd for a 'report'.  If someone had a question, wouldn't they
ask you at any point.  Not wait 3 months to ask on a 'report'?

"Goals"
Makes sense

A couple of other notes.  No other 'local level marshals' are required to
make quarterly reports, only event reports (I speak of heavy/rapier/etc).

Secondly, can our event reporting not be 'tied in' to the system currently
in place on the Marshal's Website?
http://marshal.atlantia.sca.org/Forms/EventReport.html
This form is designed for all types of reports to come in through it ...
heavy/rapier/siege weapons/etc ...  It seems an easy and logical thing to
do, to add archery into the droplist and use it for archery as well.

Finally, just an 'odd rule' note:  Currently, by the rules, the
marshal-in-charge of the entire event, must submit an event report,
reporting on all marshallate activities ... which would of course include
archery.  So has the archery responsibility been lifted from the
marshal-in-charge, if they are different from the 'person running the
archery tourney'.  Or must two separate reports be submitted?  One by the
marshal in charge to the kingdom earl marshal, and one by the
'marshal-in-charge-of-target-archery' to the kingdom target archery marshal.

Thanks in advance,