[Archers] RE: Too many useless Royal Round Scores

BRNDALSTON at aol.com BRNDALSTON at aol.com
Wed Jun 5 16:00:29 PDT 2002

Since I am not a really active archer marshal, I don't normally participate
in these discussions, however I have to open my mouth on this one.

I think submitting only the top three scores for a day is a fine idea. I am
one of those people who only shoots at four or five events out of the year
and doesn't get hardly any practice in outside of events. My score is a
dismal 13, I think, for the highest and I would just as soon not submit any
RR scores due to embarrassment. I certainly don't want my score posted
somewhere with my name so anyone can go look at it and it laugh. So three
scores is just fine with me, even though in a year's time I probably only
have four or five scores to make my average.

As to the database, since this goes off an average, it seems that old scores
that are really low are going to bring down your average, thus lowering your
ranking. I think it would be a good idea to remove old scores for that
reason, as well as space on the computer. As was said earlier, we may have a
lot of space now, but down the road we might be having this conversation
again because the database has grown too large. I cannot see any useful
reason for leaving the old scores up. Database's can be set up to
automatically remove information if you want to do that. You can set it up so
all scores before a certain date are removed, or you can go in, do a query
search on the scores prior to a date and then delete them in one fell swoop.
It is not that difficult or time consuming to remove items from a database,
so I don't see how that argument is very valid.

Personally I would like to see the whole requirement for Royal Rounds
disappear. I think if people want to have their scores submitted, and want to
play the "ranking" game then they should have that available, but for those
who do not want to do that, and still want to be a marshal, they shouldn't
have to (not the MIT's or the current marshals). I shoot because I like
archery, not because I want to beat everyone else out there (which is a good
thing, considering my horrible scores;). I don't have much time between work
and school, scribing and equestrian to do a lot of archery. But I like being
a marshal so my Barony can have archery at an event occasionally and not have
to bother Sir Tnek every time they do. I feel like I am being punished,
almost, just because I am not fanatical about archery. It is really starting
to turn me off to marshalling, to be quite honest.

Anyway, I think it should be up to the archer, not the marshal, to decide if
they want scores submitted or not, and that only the top three on any given
day be submitted, if the archer so desires.

Brandy
(Lady Brandwyn Alston of the Rift - formerly archery marshal of Marinus -
having just stepped down due to the demands of the Scrivenor Royal job- which
doesn't mean much, since I am the only warranted archery marshal in Marinus
currently)