[Archers] RE: Too many useless Royal Round Scores

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 5 05:12:03 PDT 2002

To answer for Gregge, since he hasn't yet:

>On the other hand.....  What is all of this
>about 'approving the scores', that Gregge refers to.

I happen to know a bit about how the backend of the score system is
designed, and it is thus:  While many different marshals have been given
the ability to enter the scores into the database.  They don't immediately
go 'live'.  The Scorekeeper has a final 'checkpoint' to 'approve' the
scores.  So that the scorekeeper has actually seen the scores (Else he's
not much of a scorekeeper, huh?)  And to give them a quick 'human eye-ball
check' for them being ok.  Seeing if the event name typed in makes
sense.  Checking if perhaps someone's name was entered wrongly (such as
happened to Ted), and looking for someone who was perhaps mistaking entered
as getting a 99 on the speed round.  (Which is if true, said person needs
mentioning various powers that be for their skill ... or if not true ...
seeing what happened and fixing it.)

So anyway, for good reason, even though other marshals can enter scores to
the scorekeeper.  Only the scorekeeper 'puts' the scores in the database.

So he has to approve each one.  And this is then where it comes up, that he
may be sitting there approving a dozen scores for a single person, when
only 3 could ever count towards their average.