[Archers] Scores

Ted Shertzer scherz at erols.com
Tue Jun 4 21:01:09 PDT 2002

Greetings All,

As one that shoots as many RR's that time and weather permit at a scheduled
practice. I have a problem limiting the number that can be turned in.
However, I realize that I only need the scores that will only maintain my
current ranking, improve my ranking, or allow me not to fall too far below
my highest ranking when the previous scores expire in one years time. To me
the problem is that we turn in all scores so that when they expire, we can
still hopefully maintain the highest ranking we achieved.  Since only the
Grand Bowman Elite, never loses their rank, all others must maintain enough
scores to keep them in their highest rank, or close enough to be able to
recover, if they drop a rank or two.

In reality, to save space in the new database, first get rid of all the past
or expired scores. I see no advantage to keep a useless list of all my
scores that expired.  Second, replace the oldest multiple identical scores
with the score that has the newest date. Thus, you keep the date advancing
and the score will roll off when there is not another match. For example if
you have 3 scores of 81,  you replace the oldest dated 81 when you score the
fourth with the new date, and if you never shoot another 81, they will all
disappear in the appropriate years time from which they were scored, or who
knows be replaced with the 82, 83 etc.

Inconjunction with this, I would also suggest that you only keep 10-20
scores (or some reasonable number) on each archer, keeping only the highest
scores and replacing the oldest dated ones as mentioned earlier. This way
you have a fixed amount of space allotted to each archer which can be
manageable, and allows enough scores, so that the archer should hopefully be
able to maintain or stay close to their highest ranking, with the older
dated scores rolling off and the newer and higher scores taking over.

Again, I'm against limiting how many RR's can be turned in. It should be up
to the archer to say whether or not to submit them. And if you put in place
the limit of scores displayed, and keep the most current dates, it doesn't
matter how many they submit only the XX highest would be stored and
displayed in the database.

What effort this would take to modify the current database or whether it's
beyond the scope, I don't know.

In any case, I feel the system should be modified not limit the archer.

Theodore