[Archers] RE: Too many useless Royal Round Scores

Siegfried Sebastian Faust eliwhite at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 5 05:25:12 PDT 2002

>As to the database, since this goes off an average, it seems that old
>scores that are really low are going to bring down your average, thus
>lowering your ranking. I think it would be a good idea to remove old
>scores for that reason, as well as space on the computer.

First of all, the old scores won't 'bring down your average'.  Only your
three highest scores from scores shot in the last year, count towards your
average.  So keeping them there, doesn't bring your average down.

>  As was said earlier, we may have a lot of space now, but down the road
> we might be having this conversation again because the database has grown
> too large.

Just as a note to all, while I don't know the specifics of how Jonathas has
implemented some of the database stuff, the amount of data we are talking
about is miniscule.  A few bytes here, a few bytes there.  Absolute worse
case, I would guess a single score taking 100 bytes of storage (and it
probably should be taking less).

So let's see, if someone entered 90 scores a year (did 30 practices, 3
scores a practice), that would take 9000 bytes of storage.  And if we kept
it for 10 years, that's 90000 bytes.  Just about 88Kb of storage.  That's
it folks.  Now assume 200 archers, and you get to 17.6 Mb of data.  That's
for 200 archers, shooting 90 scores a year, for 10 years.

Right now, 17Mb is nothing in terms of HD storage.  10 years from now, it
will be a joke :)

There isn't/shouldn't be a space problem folks.  I find it interesting that
a 'personnel time problem' that was put forward, as someone (scorekeeper)
was 'wasting time/effort', to approve/enter scores that were otherwise
useless ... somehow became a discussion of hard drive space *grin*

>Personally I would like to see the whole requirement for Royal Rounds
>disappear. I think if people want to have their scores submitted, and want
>to play the "ranking" game then they should have that available, but for
>those who do not want to do that, and still want to be a marshal, they
>shouldn't have to (not the MIT's or the current marshals).

Do realize that right now, it is only required for a MIT to have a RR
average ... once they are a marshal, they don't have to shoot one ever
again.  (Not that I don't agree with you about removing the requirement,
but that's a different story).