[Ponte Alto] Night out of town

Rochelle Newman rnwmn1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 18:49:22 PDT 2013

Night out of town, Lochmere's premiere rapier event, is April 12-14, and
you don't want to miss it – April 13 will be a day full of fighting, death,
and hilarity...  I am still in need of a couple marshals, with my goal
being for individuals to only marshal part of the day (and fight part of
it); please let me know if you can help out.
*
Once again Spring has come to the lovely town of Smeewick, however over the
harsh winter the discontent of the residents has been discussed over mead
and beer on cold nights. The conversation increasingly turning on their
displeasure of being the object of frequent raids and troubles. Well these
fine folk have whipped themselves into a fine fervor and have decided to go
out and exact some revenge on those who have seen fit to torment them.
This year they are taking it on the road!
*
9:30  MOL opens; authorizations begin.  Please contact me in advance if you
are planning to authorize at this event.

10:15   We'll warm up with a Blacksword tourney, just to get everyone's
blood moving…

10:30   Our first melee will be a limited resurrection melee with two
teams, last-fighter standing, with a single additional rule:  *You cannot
kill anyone at your same level of the academy. *  That is,
white-scarves/provosts cannot kill white-scarves, free-scholars cannot kill
free-scholars, scholars cannot kill scholars, and those unaffiliated with
the academy d'espee cannot kill others not affiliated.

After this, we'll leave the field for the woods.

*The people of Smeewick and the other neighboring towns have decided to
exact revenge against the raiders and brigands living in the woods.   They
march out in force to destroy the brigands who have tormented them for so
long….*
This will be a roughly 1-hour woods flag battle.   Res points will be
half-way up the hill, one to the left and one to the right.   The two flags
will be at the top and bottom of the hill.   Assessment of who holds the
flags will be taken at 3 points:   roughly 10-20 minutes into the fight,
25-35 minutes into the fight, and lastly at 40-50 minutes into the fight.
After the third flag assessment, there will be no more resurrections; final
point will go to the team with the last person standing.

*After having beaten the brigands, the people of Smeewick and the
neighboring towns are trying to decide how to divide the spoils.
 Grumbling resumes, with each town arguing for why it deserves the majority
of the spoils.  Nor are the divisions entirely based on town lines:
Smeewick's two major families have long been in blood feud, and most of the
people (both in Smeewick and the neighboring towns) are indebted to one
Familia or the other.  Neither family wants the spoils to go to the other….*
After a brief break, we'll return to the field for a  for a series of
non-resurrection, force-preservation battles.  Points are tallied for each
fighter left alive at the end of each battle - so  the goal is not only to
win the battle, but to do so with the least loss of life on your side.
But these will be dual–loyalty battles:  although there will be two teams
(representing the two towns), each fighter will also be assigned to a
family.   Primary battles will be between towns;  but points for winning
the various battle will be tallied both per town, and per family.  Thus,
you will have to think hard as to whether you really want to kill a member
of your own family from the other town, or about how much you want to come
to the rescue of your teammate from the other family…

*The quarreling between families becomes so severe that even funerals are
not sacrosanct.
*The goal in this scenario is for the mourners to bring the body of their
fallen comrade from the church to the cemetery, in the face of an attack
from the other family.  Pallbearers will carry the "casket" (a volunteer on
a stretcher), and must move at the slow, sedate pace appropriate to a
funeral cortege.* (While the dead can make sarcastic comments, they cannot
fight or move; there are no zombies in Smeewick.) * Pallbearers may carry a
weapon in their other hand.  Other mourners may protect the procession.
 Mourners will have a limited number of resurrections (back at the church
from which they left), while attackers will not.  If a pallbearer is
killed, that individual calls dead, and the procession stops until another
mourner takes the pallbearer's place.  (Dropping the casket would be a
horrible sacrilege not to be tolerated!)

*Among the spoils of war was a holy relic taken from some faraway chapel;
this relic can resurrect the dead…*
Finally, time permitting, we will end the afternoon with a couple of
resurrection battles – but resurrections will not be from a place, but
instead from the hand of a cleric holding the holy relic.  We will fight
this several ways: with clerics who can themselves be killed, and with
clerics who are immortal…

I hope to see all of you there!

Symone de la Rochelle, MiC