[Ponte Alto] Chalice of the Sun God X: Chariot of Apollo

Theresa Crean ladycahir96 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 18:48:03 PDT 2013

Greetings to all in the fair lands of Ponte Alto!

The Barony of Ponte Alto will host Chalice of the Sun God on Saturday, October 19, 2013 at Loudoun County Fairgrounds in Leesburg, Virginia.  The event was originally 'spiked' for September 27-29, but a glitch with the site forced me to change the date and location.  I apologize for any confusion.

This year is our 10th Chalice.  In the previous nine events, we have honored the gods and goddesses of classical mythology.  This year, we shine our attention upon the Sun God himself, Apollo, son of Leto and Zeus and twin of Artemis.

Apollo was tasked with driving his chariot across the sky, bringing light to the world.  Therefore, our theme for this anniversary year is "Chariot of Apollo".  We honor the Sun God with competitions in armored, rapier, archery, youth combat, A&S, and Performance. The winner of each competition will challenge the 2012 Chalice Champion in that discipline.  The winners receive bragging rights, the duty to challenge next year's winners, and of course, CHOCOLATE!

The Barony's MoAS, Lady Beibhinn Mhodartha (Kristen Moran) announces that the A&S competitions will be Bardic and Artifact A&S.  The theme for both is anything that relates to Apollo.  This includes his chariot, the sun, and horses, as well as his other symbols including the laurel tree, tripod, lyre (stringed instrument), and dolphin.  For Bardic, bards and other performers shall compete in a Challenger's Competition for the right to face the Chalice Bard.  Each bard or performer should have 2 pieces prepared, one of which shall be in period-style and documented.  For the Artifact Chalice Competition, artisans shall compete in a Challenger's Competition for the right to face the Chalice Artisan.

All can compete in individual disciplines and as part of a team.  Teams must field a single participant in 4 of the 5 Chalice disciplines.  A team may include up to 3 Youth participants. Each participant shall receive points for participation and performance (extra points are awarded for youth participation!).  The team with the highest score will be declared the winner of the Chalice of the Sun God.  For the past three years, our neighboring Barony of Stierbach has won the team competition.  Will they retain the honor or be unseated by another contender?

A website with information about the martial activities, competition rules, site and feast fees, schedule, hotel information, etc. will be announced soon.

So start on your A&S projects, your bardic performances; begin to prepare your equipment and assemble your team!  The event is only 4 months away!

Respectfully,
Lady Theresa O Cahir
Autocrat, Chalice of the Sun God X
Barony of Ponte Alto
ladycahir96 at yahoo.com
703-644-2930 (no calls after 10:30 p.m. please)
804-432-3226 (cell; no calls after 10:30 p.m. please)