[Ponte Alto] Fwd: [MR] Regarding the Social Media Policy

Adina adinavdh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 11:58:20 PST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Señor Santiago Ruiz de Zaragoza <santiagoruiz at verizon.net>
Date: Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Subject: [MR] Regarding the Social Media Policy
To: atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org, announce at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Cc: socialmedia at atlantia.sca.org

Greetings Atlantians,

The Society released the official Social Media Policy (SMP) yesterday
(available at http://sca.org/officers/**seneschal/docs.html<http://sca.org/officers/seneschal/docs.html>)
and I understand there has been some excitement already concerning it.
As
Social Media Deputy, I would like to simplify things and also present...A
Plan*:**In order to minimize confusion, both for page/group admins and for
the seneschal, webminister, and social media deputy, please do not advise
anyone to make any changes. Allow me.

*There are three categories of Social Media regarding the SMP: SMP
Required, SMP Recommended, and No SMP.

/SMP Required/ - Pages/Groups which purport to be a voice of the Branch,
Office, or Event--both in title and description--and are Open fall under
the SMP Required category. /Both/ criteria must be met in order to fall
into this category (I have verified this with Society).
    Example: Kingdom of Atlantia Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/**
AtlantiaSCA <http://www.facebook.com/AtlantiaSCA>
    Questionable: Kingdom of Atlantia Facebook group
    Exempt: Atlantia Arts and Sciences group https://www.facebook.com/**
groups/398128466934902/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/398128466934902/>- The description
states this is a discussion and question group, NOT an
announcement group

If your page falls under the /SMP Required/, don't panic. All that needs to
happen is two warranted officers of the group (any officers) must have
administrative access and a required disclaimer must be put into the
description. For examples, take a look at the Kingdom of Atlantia Facebook
page mentioned above. *I will be in contact with admins to advise them on
this*.

/SMP Recommended*- */Pages/Groups which either have an official voice but
are closed or have a personal voice (discussion group) and are open fall
into this category.
    Example: Atlantia Arts and Sciences group

If your page or group falls under the /SMP Recommended /category, you
should read the SMP and focus on sections 4.c. and onward. This is about
"Best Practices" (don't post political propaganda, don't do illegal stuff,
be courteous, etc.). You /are NOT/ required to have the disclaimer or two
admins.

/No SMP/ - Pages/Groups which have a personal voice (discussion group) and
are closed fall into this category.
    Example: Highland Foorde Scriptorium on Facebook

You don't have to follow the SMP. That doesn't mean I would recommend
having your group full of profanity and/or illegal content (the FBI has
precedence over the SCA in the real world), but it's your group.

In conclusion, I return to my original point: *leave this to me*. If you
ask the Kingdom Seneschal, she will point you to me, because this is why
she and the Kingdom Webminister have asked me to do this job. I will be in
contact with the page administrators who need to make changes. If you have
questions, make them good and send them to me.

--
Your Servant,
Señor Santiago Ruiz de Zaragoza

  Adina