[Ponte Alto] Fwd: [Baronage] More Information about the Settlement

Adina adinavdh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:48:39 PST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alesia Gillefalyn
Date: Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Subject: [Baronage] More Information about the Settlement

 Greetings gentles all from Alan Gravesend!

Their Majesties have charged me to serve as a central point of contact
and information as the Kingdom works its way through the current
settlement situation.  For those of you who have not yet heard of
this, I would direct your attention to the Kingdom Web page
(http://www.atlantia.sca.org/) and the link "SCA, Inc. Settlement
Information".  Many of your questions will be answered either there,
or on the SCA Corporate web site (http://www.sca.org).  If you have
questions still, pray do not hesitate to contact me at
gravesend at mac.com.

As many of you are aware, Atlantia will be making our contribution to
the costs of the settlement directly from the Kingdom's bank account.
This has left the account with only $4000, which is less than half
what our annual budget requires.  In the short term, the Kingdom is
requesting that all of the Atlantian Baronies remit $400 each to the
Kingdom.  We have had several inquires along the lines of "Why is the
Kingdom asking for so little?" and "Surely we need to put the entire
sum the Kingdom sent to the SCA back?"

The reason that the Baronies are not being asked at this time to
contribute more than $400 is twofold.  First, it is not the desire of
the Kingdom to burden our member groups to meet this demand --
especially since we do not have to do so, given the funds on hand.
Second, the $400 contributions, together with the remainder of funds
in the account after the payment, comes to just about our normal
annual budget of $11,000, and should see us through the rest of the
year.

Beyond that time, the question will be what reserves are needed by the
Kingdom to operate in the coming years.  The Crowns, Coronets and
Financial Committee will be developing a plan to address this over the
next weeks.  Taking our time in figuring this out is the best course;
one thing is certain, we do not need to make up the entire $56,000 in
order to ensure the health of the Kingdom.  Your kingdom leadership
needs time to set a new, sensible target amount for the kingdom
reserves, and to review options to meet that target -- be it via
fundraisers, event proceeds or other means.  Frankly, we do not know
what that answer will be, and we should take time and care to get to
it.

Another question seems to be centered on the ten day turnaround time.
To be clear, our contribution to the SCA, Inc. is due in ten days.
However, the $400 contributions from the Baronies and all other
contributions to the Kingdom ARE NOT subject to that deadline. Since
the Kingdom was able to pay this "out of pocket" the rest of us can
move wisely and prudently, not in haste.

More information will follow, and, as always, please do not hesitate
to contact me with questions.

Regards,

Gravesend

--