[Ponte Alto] Cross-bows and Viking dresses

neacalban1 at aol.com neacalban1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 07:57:47 PDT 2010

Hi All Pontoons,

I bought a New World Arbalest at Pennsic, for a friend who wants to shoot at SCA events(target only,not worried about speed.) she isn't real strong/bad back, so we're looking at cocking levers. I don't want a goats-foot lever(too pointy,too heavy). I've seen designs for wooden 'wippes' that hook to a ring on the bridle and push the string down to the lock. I got a quote from the manufacturer,who admits to not liking to make them, and it would cost over 1/3 of what the bow cost,which considering the lever is 2 pieces of wood with a couple of pins and a hook,seems like a lot. I have diagrams/pics, so if anyone is interested in making such, for less, please contact me.

Also, she is looking for patterns for Viking dresses so she'll have somethng to wear. She just doesn't do trousers, so Mongol style is out!

Tselmeg.