[Ponte Alto] Arming Coat & Other Armor Questions

Kevin Maxson Kevin at Maxson.com
Wed Sep 16 17:17:42 PDT 2009

>From Kevin of Thornbury to William de Mont d'Or, greetings.

As you may well know, these things are generally custom fit, so it
will be hard to determine what you'd like - especially if the item you
try on doesn't fit.  (For instance, I have two 15th century gambesons,
both made specifically for me that are unlikely to fit most other
fighters I know.)  The trick will be in carefully examining the item
in question, watching it in motion, and getting recommendations.  Once
you find the style (both in form and function) that you like, proper
execution of that style is critical.  My first gambeson worked
wonderfully for my needs at the time, and I wore it out.  These next
two that I have owned were patterned by a costuming laurel well
familiar with period fighting garments and an expert at fitting.  My
gambeson is a later period than a pourpoint, but I've heard from
people who have them that they are marvelous garments.  Either way,
the combination of a good fit and good materials makes a world of
difference.  You yourself will likely have a wealth of opinions on
what does and does not work for you if you've been fighting long.

Similarly, armor is a personal fit.  The brigandine is a fabulous
choice in armor for the period, the applicability for our sport, and
for its ease of use.  My current one was years old when I received it
from a good friend, and I've worn it years beyond that so that the
leather is starting to shred.  It's my intention to fashion a new one,
or something similar within the next month, also in preparation for
the Tournament of the Lily.

If you have further inquiries of me, I invite you to send them.  Best of luck.

- Kevin