[Ponte Alto] Letter from Lady Delphina the Mad

Gustav von Silberwald gustavvs at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 05:43:54 PST 2008

Greetings unto their Majesties
of Atlantia,
 I am submitting this
letter for the intent to run for Baroness of Ponte Alto.  My SCA name is
Lady Delphina the Mad.  My mundane name is Charlene Ratliff.  I have
been an active member of the SCA since 1998.  During that time I have been
an authorized fencer, a combat archer, and one of the first three authorized
Siege Engineers in the Kingdom of Atlantia.  I have held the office of
Baronial MOL for Ponte Alto for the past three years.  Before holding this
office I was a deputy A&S officer for one year.  I also have a broad
range of experience in all areas of the SCA.  I have participated in
battles at Pennsic, I have worked troll at Pennsic, I have participated in
A&S activities and I have been an autocrat.

Per your Majesties' request I am
listing the following awards I have received while in the SCA:

1)      Award of Arms (Atlantia, 6/12/2004)
2)      Ponte d'Oro (Ponte Alto service award, 9/18/2004)
3)      Opal ( 01/07/2006)
4)      Undine (04/01/2006)
5)      Queen's Order of Courtesy (Atlantia, 04/01/2006)
6)      Coral Branch (03/03/2007)
7)      Order of the Garland (Ponte Alto's highest order,
12/15/2007)

I believe if given the
opportunity, I will do a great job as Baroness.   I am familiar with
what the job entails.  I was a retainer for the former Baron and Baroness
of Ponte Alto, Baron Marcellus Capoziello da Napoli, and Mistress Belphoebe de
Givet during their four year tenure.  I learned much of what it takes to
be landed baronage during this time.  I was also a royal retainer for two
reigns for Atlantian Monarchs.  I actually stepped up to be the head
retainer half way through the second reign when the former head retainer needed
to step down.  I believe due to my experience, I have a good working
knowledge on what a position such as Baroness requires of me in regards to
supporting and representing my barony and in regards to the Crowns of Atlantia.

I love my barony and I have a
vision for what direction I want to take it in during my tenure if selected as
Baroness.  I want to foster a feeling of family, and a sense of welcoming
to visitors and the rest of the Kingdom.  I will encourage more
opportunities for social activities such as picnics at the weekend fighter
practices.  I want to encourage familiarity within the populace by
encouraging them to get to know other aspects of what the SCA offers.  I
want individuals to try things they might not have tried before.  I want
people to "know how the other half play in the SCA," as it were.
Finally, one of my biggest goals is that I want to encourage more participation
in the service areas, not just on a baronial level but also on a kingdom
level.  I plan to issue Baroness's challenges that will be fun and
beneficial to the populace in order to encourage voluntary participation.

I believe I am at a good place
in my life currently that would allow me to be a good Baroness for the
barony.  I work mundanely with the government full time.  My job
keeps me brushed up on my diplomatic and leadership skills.  I also
currently have no other commitments in my life that would interfere with my
role as Baroness so I could therefore concentrate fully on the responsibility
should I be chosen.

In closing, I hope you will
accept my nomination.  I am running alone without a partner but I believe
my love and concern for the welfare of my Barony will give me the strength I
will need to accomplish this job.  I also have made many friends and
acquaintances in the barony that will also support me if selected.

-YiS,

Lady Delphina the Mad
(Charlene Ratliff)
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"A nod is as good as wink to a blind man."