[Ponte Alto] Sapphire Joust - A Place for Renown and Glory

guylestran at aol.com guylestran at aol.com
Wed May 21 12:49:37 PDT 2008

Greetings,

Sapphire Joust is one of those places where you can gain both Renown
and Glory.  It offers Renown on the Tourney Fields where your prowess
can be clearly seen.  It doesn't matter in many cases if you win the
tourney or not, there are times when a shot, block or fight are noticed
and just thought to be cool by whoever is watching.  There is also how
you conduct yourself on and around the field, people notice this and it
builds perceptions.  For the new fighters start looking at what others
are doing on the field in these areas and see what you like to emulate
or make your own.  If you have questions ask any of the more
experienced folks and any of us (to include someone you might know
standing around the field) would be happy to help you.  Think about how
you are going to present yourself on the field both before the fight
and after, salutes to those who inspire you and the Crown and Coronets
as well as the fighter you are facing.  And of course there is the
fight itself and how that is conducted.  Prowess is of course important
but prowess at all levels is pretty cool to watch, there is great
pleasure in watching a new fighter do something well even if the fight
is not won.

While Renown is certainly found in Melee, I see Glory there to be
gained in Melee for both you and your War Band.  Your friends will see
you perform heroic actions, and if they are worth they will be talked
about and your word fame will spread.  Others just see a group of
fighters wearing the same surcoat, say that of Ponte Alto,  you will
gain Glory for the Barony and those in it as other War bands, fighters
and bystanders see the Ponte Alto as a unit do amazing things, like we
did at Blackstone Raids.

Though the culture is slightly different the same can be said on the
Rapier fields, while Rapier fighters do not wear full surcoats
(usually) they do display heraldry as well.

So look at the schedule below for this weekend at Sapphire and see
where Renown and Glory maybe gained.  I would encourage you to wear
your own heraldry on the Tourney Field (if you don't have a Knights to
wear as a part of his house) and the Ponte Alto Surcoats during the
Melee Events.  If you don't have your own heraldry yet, wearing your
Ponte Alto Surcoat is fine while in Tourney so people will know who you
are attached to.

Please feel free if to email me if you have any questions about any of
this or my thoughts on it, or if you just want to talk about it and
express your views.

Also do not forget about the Northern Army War Muster on 31 May 08.

I remain

Sir Guy

I cut the below from the website.

Heavy:

This year we will offer two full days of fighting, featuring Tourneys
to test the skill, and Battles to challenge the heart of all Atlantian
Fighters. The theme for the weekend will be Heraldic Display, so bring
out your finest surcoats and banners to add to
the splendor of the day.

Saturday:
9am – Mol Table opens/Authorizations
Noon- Sapphire Joust Tournament
2pm/Following Tourney- Capture the Flag Ressurection Battle (Woods) 45
min.
approx.

Sunday:
9am – Mol Table opens/Authorizations
10am - (field) Novice Tourney (2 years or less)
11:30 - (field) Order of the Kraken Off-weapons Tourney: The Order will
meet all comers with either Greatsword, Polearm, Two Sword or Spear.
12:45 - Company of St. Aiden Heraldry Team Mellee (Woods)

Rapier:

Saturday will hold the traditional Sapphire Tournament, with the Ruby
Prize awarded to the victor and the Sapphire prize awarded to the
fencer voted most chivalrous by his or her peers. This tournament will
have four round-robin pods with the top two from each pod moving on to
a single elimination. Fighting will begin following morning courts.
Authorizations will take place between 10-11 a.m., and then as time
allows.

Sunday will be a day of melee training for Pennsic with training
scenarios devised by the rapier warlord. A resurrection battle in the
woods seems highly likely, among other things. Start building your
endurance now.