[Ponte Alto] Academie d'Espee

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 09:14:22 PDT 2008

Hi Takeda,

Yes, it can be confusing.  But we can straighten it
out.

> Are blue scarfs regulated (per the Academie d'
> Espee, for Scholars), or
> is that just something any authorized fencer may
> wear?

They are regulated by the Academie d'Espee.  If you
wear a blue scarf, that means that you belong to the
guild.

There are some of us that wear no scarf, and we are
authorized rapier fighters.  It is confusing because
years ago, as soon as you got authorized, marshals
would slap a blue scarf on you without any
explanations.

That has changed, and now people make an effort to
explain newly authorized rapier fighters the
implications of accepting a blue scarf, and there's
even an oath that accompanies it.

> Gold(Yellow) scarfs are only worn by Free Scholars
> named by the
> regulations of the Academie d' Espee

Correct.

> White scarfs are worn by those granted the Award of
> the White Scarf
> (Kingdom Grant) and may call themselves a member of
> the Order of the
> White Scarf.

Correct.  Actually, they *do* call themselve members
of the Order of the White Scarf, as Atlantia is a
signatary of the Inter-Kingdom Treaty of the White
Scarf.  It is the name of the award.

If one is a member of the Academie d'
> Espee (and duly
> authorized by the Academie) one additionally may
> title themself as
> Provost of the Academie.

Correct.

> So if someone who had been awarded a white scarf
> from say, AnTir came
> to Atlantia, they would still be:
> Lord SoandSo,  Order of the White Scarf, but would
> not have rank in the
> Academie...

Correct.

> Thus theoretically there is the possibility that one
> granted a white
> scarf from another kingdom might wear a white scarf,
> and another color
> if they are members of the Academie but not yet be
> acknowledged as a
> Provost.

No.  All other Kingdoms have a white scarf as the
symbol of their Order of the White Scarf.  Atlantia is
the only one that has added a blue Spike and a blue
stripe to its award.

> Anyone ever given any thought to putting something
> easily identifiable
> on the Acadeime scarves?  Like a Blue and white
> fringe... that way it
> would be immediately apparent Academie status...
> (for those
> non-academie folks)  And plus it is more spiffy
> bling-bling :)

The Atlantian White Scarf already has the blue and
white colors :-)

Right now, it is not an issue.  All members of the
Order of the White scarf of Atlantia, except for one,
are members of the Academie d'Espee.  I don't think
that it is much of an issue at this time, but it is an
interesting point.

Oh, and there are some other WS within Atlantia that
are technically non-members of the Academie, and those
are the ones that came from other Kingdoms and had
already an out of Kingdom white scarf.

Hope that this helps, and that doesn't add to the
confusion.

Cheers,

Belphoebe
Free Range Rapier Fighter

-- It is a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you are badly dressed.
(From the Rules of Ettiquette of the Ankh Morpork Guild of Assasins)
Une Robe Magnifique: http://www.houseffg.org/belphoebe
House Fallen From Grace, "Corrupting the Innocent since 1569": http://www.houseffg.org
Atlantian Siege Guild http://siege.atlantia.sca.org