[Ponte Alto] East Coast Champions, a Jousting and WMA Extravaganza and Brouhaha

guylestran at aol.com guylestran at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 04:45:05 PST 2008

For those who might be interested, there is also some SCA fighting
going on here.

However there is also the event

Caer Mear's 30th Birthday Celebration
March 08, 2008, Barony of Caer Mear

Infor here.

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73563&start=0

East Coast Champions, a Jousting and WMA Extravaganza and Brouhaha
March 8, 2008
Prince George's Equestrian Center
Upper Marlboro, MD
http://www.showplacearena.com/

This not-for-profit tournament will feature authentic, mounted and
unmounted Western Martial Arts, performed in a competitive atmosphere
of martial brotherhood and sisterhood.

It is the first event of its kind in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US.
We sincerely intend this to be the first of many such events in years
to come.

Participants please aim for late15thC thru late16C. We are aiming for a
'periodesque' look and feel from in between King Rene's Book to The
Field of the Cloth of Gold. (1450s to 1520s) Elizabethan armor/garb is
expressly welcome, as most folk don't know the difference.  (terminus:
1600ad)

Itinerary:
600am - horse trailers may arrive
800am - site opens, morning coffee clutch
1100am - meeting for all the day's combatants (mandatory)
1200pm - Promenade (all combatants and retinue march formally and are
acknowledged (soft kit))
1230pm - SCA-style Grand Melee (30 minuted of continuous martial
madness and mayhem - all available on-site combatants are invited to
play!)
130pm - Mounted Tournament (1"x40" rattan canes vs crested helms (paper
mache crests))
2pm - Cane Ground Combat (one minute rounds ala Sir Brand of the West,
judged like a boxing match, SCA armour/weapons)
245pm - Jousting round 1 (scored 3' balsas at wooden targes or smooth
grande-garde augment (buffe optional))
315pm - Ultra Heavy Steel sword submission combat (3-5 counted blows,
no holds barred, cap-a-pie harness -w- matched steel bastard swords)
430pm - Jousting round 2 (solid 3' balsas, no targes (bare-chested)
unhorsings +10pts)
500pm - Jousting laissez-faire (championship tie-breakers come first,
after that anything goes,
aka 'free style', i.e. WCJA lances, personal challenges, reverse or
right-shoulder passes, etc.)
600pm - Awards, prizes, closing promenade
7pm - cookout for combatants and crew (onsite campground)
8pm - tippling and NSTIW debriefing

FRIDAY MARCH 7th - ALL JOUSTERS MUST MAKE 4 SHOCK QUINTAIN PASSES ON
THEIR INTENDED WARHORSE (no exceptions)

SUNDAY MARCH 9th: Skill-at-Arms day; private farm in Harwood, MD
(non-combat weapon/target gaming)-(4 mi from tournoi site)

We will happily go out of our way to accomodate horses brought from
out-of-town. Proof of coggins&vaccines required.

Saddle plates are highly advisable.

King of Arms: All Rulings, Judgements, Prouncements, Admonshiments,
Banishments and other such made by the King of Arms are considered
Final. Arguments, appeals, lawyerings, badgerings or other styles of
naughty, sassy back-talk will get the perpetrator ejected.

Open Arms Policy: to all the goodly citizens of SCA, Dagorhir,
MSR/Acre, Adrian Empire, Markland, Belegarth, WMA studios and other
history-minded folk.

Attendees with period garb and encampments may set up around the list
field.

Spectator tickets will be $10 with under 12 free, available soon
through Ticketmaster.
Participants: $5
Crew: Free, of course

FWIW - We are only using the outdoor portion of this magnificent
facility for this event. Someday we hope to be able to afford to rent
out the whole thing for our productions. There is also a CAMPGROUND
right ON-SITE!

PHOTOGRAPHERS AND VIDEOGRAPHERS NEEDED!
ARMOUR REPAIR TECHNICIANS NEEDED!
SCA MARSHALLS NEEDED!

Merchants $25 fee. (IceFalcon = free and 1st choice of tent pad, if you
help us with jiffy armour repairs)

Jousters:
Tim S.
Paul S.
Christina G.
Jeremy Oneaill
Nicole Fortuzilas
Jon P.
Jeff S.
James A.
Jim M.
Barchan

Joust Rules:
+1pts Touche
+3pts Tip Break
+5pts Shaft or Handle Break
+10pts Unhorse Opponent (round 2 only)
-10pts Hitting a Horse
-10pts Using Reigns to Stay Ahorse
DQ - 2nd Horse Hit or Reigning Abuse

Round 1 targets: Targe or smooth Grande Garde (buffe optional)
Round 2 targets: Torso and Helm (only augment: pasgard)
Tips must first strike on-target to score points.

I expressly encourage all AAers to offer opinions and criticisms.
"You have spurs, SO USE THEM!" - Joan of Arc, Battle of Patay, 1428

"Knighthood Is Only The Beginning."