[Ponte Alto] Latest Update on Sir Michael Saint-Sever

Max Nelson maxntropy at att.net
Tue Jun 17 20:42:50 PDT 2008

Lucky number seven.  Michael was successfully weaned off the
ventilator this morning around 10 AM--or more accurately, the staff
got tired of his shenanigans and yanked it.  He took it well and is
breathing all on his lonesome without difficulty.  There's still some
discomfort--back, chest, and throat are sore for separate but obvious
reasons--but he should be much more comfortable by tomorrow.

He's not back to his old communicative self yet since moderm meds have
the habit of holing up in the body's tissues and take time to purge.
Within hours, though, he was making good eye contact, responding to
basic instructions, and asking for things he wanted (took some
lipreading since his voice isn't back yet).

One of his first requests?  Sample exchange:
"I want to get up."
"No, Mike, getting up happens later; now is the time for sitting down."
"I want to get up."
"Look, you're not getting up."
"I want to get up."
"Hey . . . stop that.  You're not supposed to be lifting things with
your arms (like, say, your whole body)."
"Why?"
"It's bad.  Just stop it, okay?"
"I want to get up."

Actually, I've been at parties in Los Angeles in the early 90s where
Mike's conversations were nearly identical to this, so I take is a
particularly good sign.

Needless to say Barb et al couldn't be happier.  Hospital staff
expects him to be more or less drug free and right in the head
tomorrow (we'll assume they mean "more right in the head", as they
really don't know what passes for Norm in Michael).  They'll get him
on the phone with Morgan and Maddie as soon as possible (couldn't
today because his voice isn't back yet).  We also hope to capitalize
on his newly returned reasoning capacity to impress upon him the
undesirability of lifting things with his arms (like, say, his whole
body).

Clearly word has gotten around about Michael's turn for the better and
they greatly appreciate the influx of calls and messages today (though
friends should try to do Barb et al a solid by *not* calling, so that
they can focus their energies on Michael and what they have to get
done out there).

Nonetheless, they confer apologies for not getting back to people
individually--they're sure you understand how focused they've been on
Michael--but rest assured that each and every message has had a
positive impact.  Michael will also see them, as soon as he's able.

They are extremely thankful to everyone for the great and ongoing
support

In service and love,

Baron Max Von Halstern