[Ponte Alto] Lucet Cord -- Sun Apr 20th 2pm -- Ponte Alto A&S / Practice (Falls Church, VA)

L E Storey lestorey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 17:04:36 PDT 2008

Salvete omnes!

  By request and kind endorsement of Their Excellencies of Ponte Alto
Jurgen and Flora,
      do I, Iohanna filia Iacobi, humbly offer a venue for Fair
Atlantia's Artisans to share their interest in lucet cord.

Please attend the Barony of Ponte Alto's A&S / Practice next Sunday
April 20th from 1:30pm to 4:30pm at Lemon Road Elementary in Falls
Church, VA to share lucet techniques, learn tips-n-tricks, and play
with string on a Sunday afternoon!  (( See below for address and
directions ))

What is lucet cord?  In short, a strong cord made by looping thin
string over a two-prong tool.  Common uses in the SCA include cording
/ lacing for garments, drawstrings, and so on.  For a quick overview
of lucet, please see Phiala's String Page:
http://www.stringpage.com/lucet/lucet.html

For those interested in trying their hand at lucet cord, I am bringing
a few lucets of various styles -- including a double lucet -- and a
selection of fibers for you to try for the afternoon.  My intention
for the day is to offer a short overview of the tools and method I use
starting around 2pm, and in turn individual attention to those
interested in trying lucet.

Do you love lucet, know of its uses and methods in period, and/or have
specific techniques or spiffy examples?  Please come and share!

Depending on the number of attendees interested in lucet / cording, we
will either meet in the main waiting area just inside the front doors
or in the "usual" A&S room (down the hallway to the left).

--> If you have suggested sources -- period art / examples, merchants
for supplies, and so on -- please contact me off-list; I plan to
assemble a handout this coming week and would love to include your
recommendations.

Valete,
-Iohanna filia Iacobi

* * ADDRESS * *

Lemon Road Elementary
7230 Idylwood Rd
Falls Church, VA 22043

* * DIRECTIONS as posted on http://pontealto.atlantia.sca.org/ * *

Indoor Heavy Fighter Practice and A&S gathering (Sundays days 1:30PM
to 4:30PM until the end of April)

Lemon Road Elementary

>From Southern Virginia, Maryland and Alexandria, VA

Take I-495 (the beltway) to the VA-Route 7 East exit at Tysons Corner
labeled Leesburg Pike/Falls Church, Exit #47B. Continue on Leesburg
Pike towards Falls Church for 1.2M. Turn left onto Idylwood Road for
0.3 miles. * Turn left into the Lemon Road Elementary School front
parking lot. Park and enter the building through the main front
entrance on the right hand side of the building. Proceed straight
ahead past the cafeteria entrances, turn left into the hallway which
leads past the stairs to the second floor and walk past the stairs to
the entrance to the gym.

>From Northwestern Virginia and Washington, DC

Take I-66 to the VA-Route 7 West exit for Leesburg Pike/Tysons Corner
exit #66B. Continue on Leesburg Pike under 0.1M towards Tysons Corner.
Turn right at the first light onto Idylwood Road for 0.3 miles. Follow
from * above.

*
* Lady Iohanna filia Iacobi, CP
* Apprentice to Maestra Giuliana Salviati, OL
* Baronial Artisan, Barony of Ponte Alto
* Kingdom of Atlantia
*