[Ponte Alto] Viking and Anglo Saxon clothing class Sunday

James Barker flonzy at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:35:03 PDT 2007

Sorry for the late notice; it seems my last several emails were blocked as bulk mail; I hope this one will make it though after I take all the links out.

For those who might be interested Katharine and I are holding a workshop on Viking and Anglo Saxon clothing workshop to help people get ready for Dun Carraig's Baronial Birthday on November 10th.

We will take 10 participants (I have 4 signed up already) for the class to help make patterns (up to 5 more may audit the workshop).  Please email James at flonzy at hotmail.com to sign up for the class.

The class will be held at the home of Geoffrey & Mathilde Bourette. Directions: Near La Plata, MD - please contact Mathilde at mathilde at mathildegirlgenius.com for directions.

Allergy notice:  They have dogs and a bird. Please bring your medication if you are allergic to the above.

While choice in materials to use for your clothing is up to each person linen, wool, and rarely silk were the materials used. For men wanting to make trousers you should really consider wool but not worsted wool; the cut of the patterns are meant for a tight fit that stretches with the material.

Patterns for both men and women that James and Katharine have made and used will be available:

Pants:

•	Thoursberg (3-4th C with evidence of cut in later eras)
•	Skjoldehamn (11th C)
•	Specutative Rus pants from Hedeby (10th C)
•	Hosen; for anyone with that preference. Hosen come into regular use starting in the 4th century in the Egyptian to European areas of the Roman empire. Germany has a museum with many examples of early hose.

Tunics and Kaftans

•	Thoursberg tunic (3-4th C with evidence of this style cut in early Viking and  Anglo Saxon eras)
•	Hedeby Tunic (10th C)
•	Skjoldehamn Tunic (11th C)
•	Kragelund Tunic (11th C)
•	Kaftan from Birka (10th C)

Shirts

•	Skjoldehamn

Hood

•	Skjoldehamn Hood (Norway 11th C)

Shoes

•	Hedeby finds

Other Items Without Patterns Yet:

•	Damendorf trousers
•	Skjoldehamn Tunic (10th C)
•	Moselund Kirtle (Mid 11th – 12th C)
•	Viborg Shirt (11th C)
•	There are some other kaftans and shirts in Viking Clothing and Dress in Anglo Saxon England, these books will be on hand at the workshop