[Ponte Alto] Something for our choir members

Mary Bowles mariatheresapontoon at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 06:11:38 PDT 2007

Hi James,

  Pass along to your friends father how incredable that was. I can't even imagine how much time and effort that project took. It makes sense, and I can wholly see it happening as described.

  WOW!

  Marie-Therese

james barker <flonzy at hotmail.com> wrote:
  "Rosslyn Chapel holds a musical mystery in its architecture and design. At
one end of the chapel, on the ceiling are 4 cross-sections of arches
containing elaborate symbolic designs on each array of cubes (in actual fact
they are rectangles mostly). The 'cubes' are attached to the arches in a
musically sequential way. And to confirm this, at the ends of each arch
there is an angel playing a musical instrument of a different kind. After 27
years of study and research by Stuart's father Thomas.J.Mitchell, we believe
he has found the pitches and tonality that match the symbols on each cube,
revealing its melodic and harmonic progressions. It is what we could call
'frozen music', a little like cryogenics. The music has been frozen in time
by symbolism, it was only a matter of time before the symbolism began to
'thaw out' and begin to make sense to scientific and musical perception."

http://www.tjmitchell.com/stuart/rosslyn.html

James de Biblesworth